What's going on with my ears?

nomos

Administrator
I nearly returned my new headphones today, convinced that the sound coming out of them was unbalanced. Highs are fine, same with mids and the lowest lows. But in the upper bass range, it's like it all slides over to the left.

So before leaving to make my case at the stereo store, I decided to do some methodical tests with the sine tones they have here: http://www.burninwave.com/. From 30-90 Hz everything was dead centre. At 100Hz I was less sure. At 150Hz it was obvious - strong in my left ear with a feeling of fullness, but comparatively muted on the right side.

Aha! Except then I asked my wife to do the same. After ten minutes, she couldn't reproduce it. Everything sounded right.

Soo... I guess it's my ears - either hearing damage or some anomaly that my old headphones had hidden. It's not tinnitus. The weird thing, if it's damage, is that it's like a bump in the upper bass range rather than a decline at higher frequencies. I've never heard of that. I've long suspected I that that ear was a bit damaged from going to shows when I was young, and standing in the spot beside the speaker stack. But you'd think I'd hear less out of the ear, not more, and not in that range. (I also get excruciating pain if anyone yells in that ear in a club - I have to switch the right)

I'm thinking now of having my ears tested. Anyone have any similar complaints or know much about this sort of thing?

Last edited:
D

droid

My right ear is louder than my left by a small margin. Has been for years. I blame Djing.

wise

bare BARE BONES
My right ear is louder than my left by a small margin. Has been for years. I blame Djing.

I have the same thing but the other way around. I can notice the hearing loss in my headphone ear if I cover one then the other.

nomos

Administrator
Yeah something like that would make sense to me. The weird thing is how frequency-specific it seems to be. If I listen to a sweep, it's like it starts in the middle, bulges out to the left and comes back in again.