Activities/Hobbies

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This is the latest edition of the ''Corpsey Attempts To Use Dissensus To Sort His Life Out'' series.

What do you lot get up to in your spare time?

I spend the vast majority of mine listening to music, browsing (that's a gentle term for strenuously lethargic activity) the internet, scratching myself etc. Though I enjoy these activites, particularly the first, I can't help but feel that I should be going to archery classes or something.

I've taken up the piano again recently, slightly hampered by having to use a keyboard which has no dynamic range, hasn't got the full set of keys and doesn't feel at all like a piano in general. I'm learning pieces, however, and once I get a job (hah!) I intend to start paying somebody to make me practice more assidiously.

I'm also going to start running, once I get hold of some running shoes.

So - sports / physical activites / areas of intellectual interest and so on. I'm interested.

e/y

I'm having trouble staying focused (bit of a problem with exams coming up), so running 30-40 minutes helps quite a bit. Swimming is good, too. The problem for me is that, unlike running, it costs money / requires a commute to a pool.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Climbing. At the indoor wall fairly regularly, outdoors when I can get away for the weekend.

It's a great sport, mentally and physically challenging, sociable, gets you to some amazing places - hanging around in narrow zawns at the bottom of massive sea cliffs or on ledges halfway up big mountain faces. The state of mind reminds me a bit of doing martial arts - very focussed, very instinctive - but the locations are better.

It can be reasonably expensive, though, basically from buying gear if you get into trad leading or proper mountaineering and paying to get into walls - although the latter is no more expensive than a lot of other indoor sports, I guess.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeah I've heard climbing is good. My main qualm is that my only climbing experience = when I was about 15 on a school trip, got about halfway up a very small wall and then stopped. I believe it was a combination of 1) being scared 2) not being arsed enough to overcome my fear.

I'd quite like to try chess but this won't get me out of the house and besides I'm scared of losing because I'm intellectually insecure.

I've been considering getting into football lately, too. Not playing it, of course, but following it. I supported Arsenal for most of my primary school years and then lost interest when I was about 12 and got into Warhammer and Happy Hardcore instead. It just seems like it takes a lot of effort to keep up with, also I feel like I'm really far behind now. Like walking into an inconceivably complicated film three quarters of the way through. This means I won't be able to opine, and opining seems to be half the fun.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I do like the idea of getting close to nature, though. I used to feel quite close to nature in a quasi-mystical Romantic-poet-rip-off sorta way. Just looking at the stars would make me feel like I'd dunna ekky. I think it takes you out of yourself, which in my case would be a blessed relief. This applies to piano playing too, I suppose. You can't really think about how depressed you are when you're sight-reading notation...

Meditation is still on the table. I'm put off by the hippy connotations, though. It all seems terrifying EARNEST.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
musical instruments i find the best for making you feel better/more chilled out. Look on freecycle for a piano if you have room - sometimes they do give them away. If I had the room and was on the ground floor, I'd be looking.

Chess - play on yahoo. Playing full length games with a chess team is ultimately too time-consuming.

Climbing is a great shout. I'm gonna start using the wall just down the road from me - it seems just as reasonably priced as any other sport.

@bandshell - how is parkour? Was thinking of buying a few classes for someone as a present - is it a good idea?#

I reckon now is a great time to get involved with political groups of whatever kind you're into.

If you have access to a DSLR, photography is great for a balance of exercise/open airness (going out on walks etc) and creativity.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Climbing. At the indoor wall fairly regularly, outdoors when I can get away for the weekend.

It's a great sport, mentally and physically challenging...

I had a go on the wall at Mile End last year but then moved away soon after, so sadly haven't been back. Great fun though - nothing I like better than feeling mentally and physically challenged. ;)

I should see if there's one here, it's a good-sized town so I expect there is. Can't see outdoor climbing being that big in Holland, though...

Where do you go for outdoors, btw?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh yeah, outdoor walls. They look freakin' wicked! Soon as the weather is a bit less shitty I am gonna get me some of that. I was thinking of natural cliffs and mountains and stuff, you see.

I bet you can see for miiiiiles from the top of one of those things.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think getting away from a computer is key. Even if you're doing something worthwhile on a computer it still feels like you're doing nothing.

This is my goal in life.

I'm so attached to the internet/computers in general, though. Technology has me by the testes.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
When I was, what, 10? I climbed up the more or less sheer chalk cliffs at near where I lived and was given a bollocking by the manager of the hotel/restaurant at the top when I rather unexpectedly appeared in the hotel grounds which run right up to the cliff edge.

Dunno how high it is but easily a hundred feet, I'd have thought. Basically the cliff edge visible in this photo, I think:

469303_7745206d.jpg

luka

i like that tommy cooper joke
me and my mate were playing chess, and my mate says
lets make this more interesting
so we stopped playing chess.

dont get a hobby, dont play chess, get a job and become infatuated with at least one girl. do stupid things to win her affection. this will be fun even if you fail.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Have you tried drinking? I find that it passes the time quite agreeably. Plus it can be combined with nearly all the other suggestions to form a superior hybrid activity. Though not climbing. That's probably a bad idea.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Hobby 1: Hustling.
Hobby 2: Grinding.
Hobby 3: Endlessly talking about how much of the previous two you have been doing on twitter.