Joey Joe-Joe Jr. Shabadoo

That's a sweet message (and it really feels like he put his heart into it this time), but listening to the way Mary-Anne Hobbs read it made me want to hide somewhere insulated from all sound.

i feel like reading out a text about bullying from burial live on air is the moment she has been waiting for her whole career

Leo

he speaks!

burial.jpg

http://www.hyperdub.net/burial/

soloist

come down to us is possibly one of my favorite tracks all time, it's quite interesting to know that it's the same person that made untrue etc. and that it's just a different evolution of the same creative mind.

anyways, can anyone identify the sample used on that tune? I remember seeing somewhere it was off some random youtube cover of a coldplay song or something, if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

glad to see others blown away by it as much as i am

which part of you mean? dunno about the vocals from the sitar part in first 8 mins or so but the "up here st night" and "this is the best way to go" from end of rival dealer is apparently this
and the speech at the end

Leo

my, how things change: new zomby album including tracks with burial is out for weeks and not even a mention here!

um, i still haven't heard it, myself. any good?

CrowleyHead

I like it. I also liked the Zomby records from last year that supposedly got panned super hard, and that double-album everyone had a tantrum about.

Not for nothing, this man's career has mostly been about having one template and doing tiny little pushes and pulls to make it semi-different from other tracks. That's fine or whatever, people tolerate even less effort from others.

As far as the burial track its good and it doesn't sound too much like it'd be "BURIAL x ZOMBY".

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
With Skepta last week I was reminded about the time Burial was up for the Mercury. For my taste it was downward slope on every new release from the first hyperdub ep but I always rated him even if I didn't buy into the increasingly absurd hysteria that surrounded him. Whether it was that hysteria or not, you could fairly argue he is one of the most influential artists of the last decade. So much of his style has become normalised, up to and including this year's winning eurovision entry, that you could forget it came from him. Just a shame most of the people he influenced entirely missed the point of what Burial was doing.

One thing I noticed a while back is that the drums on southern comfort are the same pattern as the a side on EL-B's Brandy bootleg. I remember Blackdown playing it on rinse years ago and shouting out Burial, "I know this is a percy". Burial played both sides on the last Breezeblock show which generated enough hype for DNR to repress the EL-B record. Blackdown told me recently enough that there is still a third unreleased Ghost mix and Burial is fortunate enough to have a copy.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The thing about Burial was/is that although he was a very geeky producer catering for a very geeky core fanbase, his music was good enough to transcend the boundaries he set for himself using that very strange palette of sounds, and evoking that very melancholic mood. I remember when 'Untrue' came out, playing it in the car with my non-dubstep-nerd mates on the way to Sheffield, and them both absolutely loving it.

I wonder how influential Burial was on, for example, R&B - all that Weeknd/Drake/PartyNextDoor etc. stuff, which was often called dubsteppy but really was Burial-esque if anything. Obviously James Blake has become very successful in the US and I feel like there'd be no James Blake without Burial. (I'm sure some on here would prefer things that way!)

droid

:D

Worse than the last one. More Enya vibes from the first tune and the flip sounds like some kind of synth wave pastiche.

Leo

i guess i meant "not bad" in that it's not just another rehash of his woodblock sound. lousy progress is still progress! ;)

CrowleyHead

"Enya vibes" have you fogeys actually heard Enya, or are you just so used to using that as a jab without being held accountable for it, like pretending Dillinja made good music?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
DILLLIIIINNJAAAAAA

A producer Burial has had literal wet dreams of emulating. (See Blackdown interview 04/05/2007)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Kinda reminds me of Future Sound of London 'PAPPY NU GINNY' except with more crackling.

'Put a crackle on it' is Burial's equivalent of a DONK.

droid

"Enya vibes" have you fogeys actually heard Enya, or are you just so used to using that as a jab without being held accountable for it, like pretending Dillinja made good music?

The very fact that we are old fogeys ensures that we have indeed heard Enya.

If you dont know that Dillinja was once a genius, then there is no hope for you.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

This is my favourite of the ZOMBY BURIAL collaborations. ZOMBY's arpeggios and BURIAL's dreamy vocal wash.

droid

ENYA VIBES

Taken from Jon Hopkins' final BBC Residency Mix on Radio 1. Watermarks from Radio 1 were edited out. Jon mixed it with Enya - Exile basically and made this remix.