"bath salts"

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
well yes, it does cause the most friction, because it intimidates local people. Which is the main point of marching in the first place, from their point of view.

Btw there was virtually no coverage of the W'stow event in the mainstream media, just in the local W'stow press, from what I could see.

My main point is just that fascism doesn't go away if you ignore it, however stupid/clueless/motivated by general alienation you think the people involved are.

Last edited:

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
well yes, it does cause the most friction, because it intimidates local people. Which is the main point of marching in the first place, from their point of view.

Btw there was virtually no coverage of the W'stow event in the mainstream media, just in the local W'stow press, from what I could see.

My main point is just that fascism doesn't go away if you ignore it, however stupid/clueless/motivated by general alienation you think the people involved are.

I don't think it becomes more powerful if you ignore it either though. I don't think fascism needs to be 'fought' basically. in fact I think that usually just gives people the opportunity to act on their fascist tendencies (which I think we all have) without being labelled or ostracised by the particular group they call home.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
People become bolder if they see that there's no inhibition to acting/speaking just as hatefully as they like.

This is just as true for an EDL demo as it is in a personal context - if, for example, you are in a group and someone makes a comment you regard as prejudiced, then the best way to register that that is unacceptable, is to say something. If you ignore it, that kind of behaviour becomes normalised, and they will do it again.

Obviously on a political level, this is also true for the Tories' policies. I'd have been pretty emboldened by the lack of public uprising against the NHS privatisation, if I was in that cabinet. Seemingly they can do almost anything they want, and public resistance will be minimal - the next election is the only worry.

Last edited:

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
People become bolder if they see that there's no inhibition to acting/speaking just as hatefully as they like.

This is just as true for an EDL demo as it is in a personal context - if, for example, you are in a group and someone makes a comment you regard as prejudiced, then the best way to register that that is unacceptable, is to say something. If you ignore it, that kind of behaviour becomes normalised, and they will do it again.

Obviously on a political level, this is also true for the Tories' policies. I'd have been pretty emboldened by the lack of public uprising against the NHS privatisation, if I was in that cabinet. Seemingly they can do almost anything they want, and public resistance will be minimal - the next election is the only worry.

nah if someone made a prejudiced comment and was then ignored for the rest of the time they spent in that group, they'd either leave or rethink.

and if everyone consistently refused to vote politicians would have to recognise a lack of belief in our current political structure as a whole.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
nah if someone made a prejudiced comment and was then ignored for the rest of the time they spent in that group, they'd either leave or rethink.

and if everyone consistently refused to vote politicians would have to recognise a lack of belief in our current political structure as a whole.

I meant ignore the prejudiced comment, rather than ignore everything else they said.

why do you think that doesn't happen, given the levels of disillusionment with the present system? Also, the voting levels are pretty low anyways, imo.

sufi

lala
not sure how this thread got ooff the subject of chemical zombification - but since we're off on a tangent how's about: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/332593
Sentences have been handed down at Snaresbrook Crown Court to ten percent of those involved in an attack on The Blind Beggar pub in Whitechapel causing $6,000 worth of damage. However, the English Defence League (EDL) were not inside.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Think I led it on the tangent.

What the hell is this digitaljournal.com? "Violent, far-left UAF backed by British Prime Minister David Cameron" - sounds fucking crazed.

thadook

I suppose zombie-movies/video games must be popular on some level because they reflect fears we have about society: genetic manipulation, use of hazardous chemical materials (the general pernicious influence technology/industry is now widely accepted to have on the natural order of things), the widespread use of drugs (both illegal and pharmaceutical) etc. But then also, this zombie mythology is so popular that we probably just frame events using that context - I'm sure people have been doing crazy things like eating each other/their own intestines since time immemorial.

There is an intersection between cannibalism/zombie-mythology that you find in cannibal serial killers like Jeffrey Dahmer, who often say that the reason they ate their victims was that they wanted to 'possess' them completely, in the same manner that voodoo witch doctors supposedly make zombies of people in order to control them. e.g.

''Once Dahmer got his own apartment, he stepped up both his killing and his cruelty.� He wanted to create a zombie to do his bidding, so when he'd drug a victim into unconsciousness, he'd drill holes into his head and inject acid or boiling water.� Usually they died, but one actually survived for a while and walked out into the streets.'' http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/notorious/necrophiles/secret_2b.html

Cheery stuff.

You might be interested in the first part of this podcast.

http://www.againstthegrain.org/program/626/mon-111212-zombies-labor-and-catastrophism

The speaker sees zombies and vampires as the most common horror tropes as they reflect the fears of capitalist society. He draws a bit too long a bow in my opinion but it's an interesting talk nonetheless.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The vampire/capitalism thing gets a nicely Cthulhoid slant if we substitute the plain old vampire with a vampire squid:

Goldman-Sachs-as-Vampire-Squid-termed-by-320x240.jpg
100426-goldman-sachs-vampire-squid.jpg