Remember "journalism"?

Leo

maybe there is hope for the profession...

MSNBC's Chris Matthews made a clarifying point, highlighted in Brian Stelter's "Reliable Sources" newsletter: "[W]e're only learning the truth of all these endless meetings with the Russians because of good reporting ... We're getting great print coverage by the hour. And that's the only reason this administration is admitting things. Trump didn't act on Flynn until it was exposed by the press. The attorney general didn't recuse himself until today because the report ran in today's newspapers. This is an administration being driven by truth that's coming from somewhere else."

Leo

No reporting going on. Spoon-fed by sources in intelligence agencies.

that how reporting works, tho. particularly political reporting (deep throat>watergate, daniel ellsberg>pentagon papers, etc.) it's very rare that investigative reporters simply stumble upon news or find it by digging endlessly, they don't have the time or resources.

sufi

lala
forget the MSM
its all about the indies,
@sarahkendzior
Peter Pomerantzev
(Moby & flipping Mensch)

richwill

I don't understand how Stig Abell now edits the TLS. He was editor of The Sun when it (he) published Katie Hopkin's call for refugees to be massacred. He's the worst sort of mercenary intellectual imo, I'll stick with the LRB.

sufi

lala
From New Internationalist, a pretty nice and positive organ. You too can have a £50 share in it, but you'll need to be quick - only a day or 2 left

just to update and inspire: the public have bought £492,750 worth of shares in new internationalist within a month. the vast majority of backers have bought the minimum amount, £50 but that's a hell of a lot of people, no mega rich backers, no corporate or big business backers to pull our strings, just fans of trusted, award winning non corporate backed media that has internationalism in its heart

they are now our owners, they now have a say in new internationalist and play a part in the way the magazine, the ethical shop and the book publications will grow. It's a brave model and worth watching to see how it goes from here

our supporters making their own endorsement films ranged from jarvis cocker and emma thompson to birgitta Jonsdottir and gavin turk, messages came in from all around the world, many voices in the global South saying how important the magazine has been to their struggles for justice

today, the great reverend billy is making a film with his choir to support us over this last four days. He has been a fan since someone gave him a copy in prison a decade ago

it'd be great if neon people got behind pushing the community share offer over these last four days and thanks to all of those who already have

we put out a lot of material for free online but the more people who back us or subscribe means the more good journalism we can do, the more unreported majority workd stories we can cover, the more neo liberal myths we can deflate. No compromising adverts, no agenda controlling owners, no hidden controlling boards, this is democratic media and it chill grow only a coding to the amount if people who get behind it and pull back from corporate backed media.

TBH it's all very well moaning about how crap the MSM are, but there are decent sources of news, like https://newint.org if you can be arsed to stop moaning and look past the metro & the grunter

firefinga

I usually avoid Tabloids like the plague. Nevertheless I am using public transport a lot more these days, and there is this rag that's for free available at those boxes in railway/underground stations. So I took one recently. And, while tabloids never were hotbeds of information in the written form, that one basically looked like printed out (bad to mediocre) memes with a right wing/celebrity/anti-selected minorities tendency to it. Lots of unintentional humor in it, and of course massively popular with people on the trains etc.

Last edited:

Leo

on the other hand...the washington post does smart reporting and smacks down the latest attempted phony sting operation.by james o'keefe/project veritas.

Leo

with all the depressing aspects of the state of journalism, nice to have some positive news:

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- In town hall meetings inside The New York Times Company today, president and chief executive officer Mark Thompson will announce significant milestones that the Company achieved in 2019:

- It passed its goal of $800 million of annual digital revenue a year ahead of schedule. In 2015, when digital revenue was around $400 million, The Times set itself the objective of doubling this category of revenue by the end of 2020.

- The Company added more than 1 million net digital subscriptions last year. This is the highest annual run-rate since the launch of the digital model in 2011, indeed the largest number of net subscription additions in a year in the history of The New York Times Company.

- The New York Times Company now has more than 5 million total subscriptions, again an all-time record for the Company. The total includes 3.4 million core news subscriptions, more than 300,000 to NYT Cooking and 600,000 to NYT Crossword, as well as nearly 900,000 print subscriptions.

https://investors.nytco.com/press/p...th-at-The-New-York-Times-Company/default.aspx

version

Reuters have a new editor-in-chief now, the site's suddenly changed and they're talking about the news agency being "a drag on growth". Wonder if this is the beginning of the end and they're gonna end up selling it off to someone who'll dismantle it or just pull it into the gutter.
Since 2008, Reuters has been part of Thomson Reuters Corp (TRI.TO), a corporation with more-lucrative and faster-growing segments than news. Its chief executive, Steve Hasker, who joined Thomson Reuters last year, has focused on aggressively expanding the corporation’s three largest businesses: providing information, software and services to lawyers, corporations and the tax and accounting profession. Hasker’s strategy has helped boost Thomson Reuters stock to all-time highs.

Reuters News comprises about 10% of Thomson Reuters’ total $5.9 billion in revenues. Unlike many news organizations, Reuters is profitable. But it is also a drag on the parent company’s revenue growth and profit margin, analysts say, and the executive who runs the news business, Reuters President Michael Friedenberg, is pushing to increase sales and boost profitability.

craner

Beast of Burden
I remember journalism. I remember big fuck-off broadsheets and thick, glossy, dynamic, ambitious magazines.

i.

I still retain a copy of the (London) Times published on 12th September 2001, and when I go back and look at it now the things that surprise me are 1) the size of it (and remembering how difficult it seemed to be to physically cope with a broadsheet when just a child, which is why it was something only adults did or could do); 2) the amount of closely-packed words, a beautiful, dense, heavy, inky word-count; 3) the volume of stuff worth reading, not simply for historical value.

ii

I was flicking through a copy of Vogue, April 1988 Edition, then edited by Elizabeth Tilberis after Wintour had sacked everybody Beatrix Miller hired and then flounced off to America. And among all of the other great things in it I was astonished to discover a tightly-written, deeply-researched, clinically polemical eviseration of the Thatcher administration attack on the NHS (the name of the writer escapes me now, unfortunately). It was not only good (and would struggle to survive uncut even in the Guardian these days); it was unexpected. And that is another thing that we've lost: amazing things in unexpected places. Like, for example, i-D sheltering Kodwo Eshun and Steve Beard for some slender years.

April, '88 Edition:

tumblr_maghiuQAA61r3e5muo1_500.jpg

iii

The Times has a point. Free online content and commentary is murdering journalism. Papers cannot afford to pay photographers or foreign correspondents adequately. If you value journalism as a craft and an art however corrupt and immoral it is (and I very much do) you should be pro-Times Paywall.

iv

Who are the editors with any vision or at least guts still in the game? Anna Wintour, Terry Jones, Daniel Johnson, Tina Brown...

Classic post, the root of this: