Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Can computer games be art?

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Is that by valve or is it a mod?
    valve, and they've ot all the old HLs avialble for free until it comes out.

HL1 is the shit, no idea how 2 got so much praise.
    cheep cheep

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Is that by valve or is it a mod?
    It's not by Valve. It's by a group of (originally) amateur programmers called the Crowbar Collective. Valve very generously allowed them full use of all the intellectual property in the original game except the name.

The levels representing the terrestrial sections of the original game came out back in 2013 and were free. The game is now complete and costs fifteen quid on Steam, which is pretty reasonable.

I say complete - the Xen section is massively enlarged compared to the original. I think the original idea was to have the alien section of the game take about as long to play as the section on earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    It's not by Valve. It's by a group of (originally) amateur programmers called the Crowbar Collective. Valve very generously allowed them full use of all the intellectual property in the original game except the name.
    Oh yeah? Damn. I thought this was the same thing as Half Life Alyx which is out in March.

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about HL2?
    cheep cheep

Oh yeah, HL: Alyx is by Valve. It looks amazing but you'll need some totally insane rig to run it - I think the cheapest VR headset that'll support it is about a grand, and that's before you've even thought about a graphics card. I'd have been much happier with a proper HL3 or even a third episode for HL2 that tied the storyline together with the Portal games and ran on a normal gaming PC, but clearly that ship has sailed as far as Valve is concerned. Maybe Crowbar will tackle that next, I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    Out of curiosity, how do you feel about HL2?
    Well it couldn't hope to compete with the original, which was just so amazingly innovative in so many ways, and the middle section dragged a little. But overall I think it was pretty good.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 25-01-2020 at 11:50 AM.
    i hate sigs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

Although I just remembered the ridiculous final boss fight with all the Stalkers and the sticky bombs, which was ridiculous even as boss fights go, haha.
    i hate sigs

Playing HL1 for the first time was mind-blowing. I don't think there had been a game like that before where you were inside the story in that way.

And when the marines first show up, fucking beautiful.

It was like being in a really good film
    cheep cheep