"Craniofacial Identification"

sufi

lala
This is just bollocks surely? you can't actually see what someone would have looked like by just putting plasticine on their skull

you see this tech used all over the place tho, from crime to archaeology, but it's bad science bullshit really isnt it?
i want to see a blind test of one of these charlatans against a photo

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I don't think it would be so widely used if it was complete rubbish, but I agree a blind comparison test would be very interesting. You could CAT-scan a living person's skull and make a resin model to work from without too much difficulty, I reckon.

Also, this:

- skip to about 6:40

sufi

lala
here we go
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 2 August 2013 11:07
Subject: RE: Craniofacial Identification

Dear
Many thanks for your enquiry. The attached papers demonstrate examples of blind tests.
The recent forensic case from Edinburgh (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-23240433 ) may also demonstrate validity.
Best wishes

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Sent: 01 August 2013 23:16
Subject: Craniofacial Identification

Dear ,

To satisfy an argumentative sceptic, I wonder whether you could direct me to some research that would be intelligible to a lay person, and would demonstrate the effectiveness of craniofacial identification.

I assume that "blind" tests must have been carried out at some stage with a "control" of a skull whose face was known, to see whether the process produced a result that resembled the actuial face.

I would really appreciate if you could help me to find any papers or articles that prove the validity of this science.

Many thanks, in advance, for your kind consideration

Best wishes
Yours,

Wilkinson (2010) Facial reconstruction – anatomical art or artistic anatomy? Journal of Anatomy J. Anat. (2010) 216, pp235–250

Wilkinson et al (2006) A Blind Accuracy Assessment of Computer-Modeled Forensic Facial Reconstruction Using Computed Tomography Data From Live Subjects, Forensic Science , Medicine & Pathology (2006)

Lee et al (2006) An Accuracy Assessment of Forensic Computerized Facial Reconstruction Employing Cone-Beam Computed Tomography from Live Subjects, Journal of Forensic Sciences, 2011

---------- Attachments ----------

Wilkinson et al (2006) Accuracy CFR.pdf 12693K View Download
Lee et al - Accuracy study of Korean faces.pdf 414K View Download
Wilkinson 2009 art or anatomy.pdf 1213K View Download
i remain sceptical, though better informed than before

Last edited: