Syria

droid

Also the talk of escalation and WW3 - Turkey and Israel have carried out strikes against Syrian and Russian targets with no consequences to speak of. 200 Russian mercenaries were killed a few weeks ago, by the US and that's been largely downplayed. Is escalation to a forceful challenge an absolute certainty? I don't know if it is.

I wouldnt be willing to take that chance myself. The stakes are immense.

DannyL

Wild Horses
"About 40 minutes ago French rafale fighters took off from St Dizier air base. They fly at 1500 mph." - so we could be finding out in about 20 minutes.

DannyL

Wild Horses

I'm not sure I would either. Thankfully, I don't make these decisions though I'm not sure the people making them are much better equipped than me, temperamentally. Does bring up the question though, at what point do you challenge genocidal fascism? It's always going to be fraught with danger.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
agree 100% w/droid here

Turkey + Israel strikes were a different story. airstrikes that (in global terms) go mostly unnoticed v different from public U.S./Russia staredown, i.e. ineluctable logic of brinksmanship.

respect yr sincerity danny but the hard truth is the immense risk isn't worth the relatively marginal payoff

may have been a point several years ago when that equation was different but that was then + this is now

droid

Good article here from Beaumont.

Israel has misjudged Russia in Syria. The consequences could be grave

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/10/israel-russia-syria-netanyahu-iran-middle-east

On the American side that uncertainty around intentions has seen Donald Trump flip-flop so dramatically that in a handful of days he has somersaulted from suggesting first that his country was rushing for the exit on Syria to a situation where military strikes seem likely.

In Israel, a wounded Netanyahu – who has built an entire political career on promising to be a bulwark against Iran – is now being confronted with his rhetoric and the consequence of his actions, not least his bloody public pricking of Iran in a way that Tehran may now find hard to discount.

In the final corner there is Putin, whose calculations are opaque because that is his intention – not least over his ambitions and red lines.

The result is a highly combustible situation in which no party to the conflict – direct or otherwise – can be certain of the assumptions that the others are operating under.

Also, couldnt help but laugh at the UK's comments at the security council.

Russia’s credibility as a member of the council is now in question.” She added: “We will not stand idly by and watch Russia continue to undermine global norms which have ensured all our security, including Russia’s, for decades. As a [permanent council] member, the United Kingdom will stand up for international peace and security. It is our moral duty.”

droid

The world's second biggest arms dealer, with 2/3rds of its sales going to the middle east. Drenched in blood.

droid

Say what you like about Amnesty, they tend to be quite careful about these kinds of claims.

droid

Not going to argue the toss, its appalling either way, but those figures are from a four year period.

Meanwhile statistics collated by UK Trade and Investment, a government body that promotes British exports abroad, show the UK has sold more arms than Russia, China, or France on average over the last 10 years. Only the United States is a bigger exporter.

“The UK is one of the world’s most successful defence exporters, averaging second place in the global rankings on a rolling ten-year basis, making it Europe’s leading defence exporter in the period,” the body boasted in a report released this summer.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Bit of info here: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/22/former-uk-ambassador-linked-to-assad-lobby-group/

A former British ambassador to Syria who appeared on the BBC to defend the Assad regime had already become a director of a lobby group run by the dictator’s father in law.

Peter Ford, 59, courted controversy this month by claiming that President Bashar al-Assad would not have carried out the chemical gas attack on his own people.

Now the Telegraph can reveal that just weeks before the April 4 attack Mr Ford had become a director of the controversial British Syrian Society.

This was founded by Fawaz Akhras, a London-based cardiologist whose daughter Asma is married to President Assad, and is closely linked to the regime, frequently accused of acting as its mouthpiece in the west.

According to documents filed at Companies House, Mr Ford - who has been accused of supporting the Syrian regime in the past - was appointed a director of the society on February 28 this year.

DannyL

Wild Horses
A perspective from a Syrian voice (strangely unheard in this debacle) from a year back: http://notris.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/should-syrians-be-thankful-to-trump-for.html

Syrian voices are constantly trampled on. Syrian civil society has been very active, and has been very vocal. Unfortunately, their voices and their narratives are often trampled upon. Like the simplest things. Media outlets continue to call it a civil war, taking away the value of the idea that there was a revolution in Syria, and in many places, there continues to be, on a smaller scale, revolution in Syria. And so not acknowledging their narratives, the people living inside of Syria, and their needs and their wants, is then problematic. And they're not giving that narrative back. The international community needs to help, the media needs to help with that, you need to listen to Syrians, that's all I'm trying to say

DannyL

Wild Horses
That tweet rather throws the question of Trump-Russia collusion up in the area again doesn't it. Unless it's all theatre?

droid

There are competing factors here. Trump may be under the cosh, but that doesnt mean he won't exploit a situation for his own ends if he gets desperate enough.