vimothy

yurp
you have to be on it to understand it, I'm afraid

Thus, all real distinctions (mind and body, God and matter, interiority and exteriority, etc.) are collapsed or flattened into an even consistency or plane, namely immanence itself, that is, immanence without opposition.

The plane of immanence thus is often called a plane of consistency accordingly.

version

Joyce was on it, if Beckett's to be believed;

He [Beckett] told me - and this was a great surprise, certainly a great disappointment - that Joyce didn't like Swift. Moreover, he added, Joyce had no inclination for satire, contrary to what one might think. "He never rebelled; he was detached; he accepted everything. For him, there was no difference between the fall of a bomb and the fall of a leaf . . ."

version

I find myself wondering whether a lot of people are simultaneously on and off it, or at least moving back and forth. There's a sense of mass desensitisation, but also mass hysteria.

vimothy

yurp
well, iirc, D&G conclude--in A Thousand Plateaus--that you should always retain a bit of terra firma to cling on to in your journeys. Complete deterratorialisation is not an end to be sought.

version

I'm talking about vast swathes of people inadvertently ending up on the plane of consistency due to information overload then being wrenched off it by certain events, e.g. what's currently happening in Israel and Palestine.

You could argue you don't need a fancy Deleuzian concept to explain that though. There are just rhythms to everything, inevitable peaks and troughs. And of course extraordinary events are going to galvanize the public.

vimothy

yurp
I think that makes sense - and its a disjuncture that leads to hysteria, as you said. what is the context in which we operate? we never seem to be able to find our feet.

version

Read a critique of Baudrillard the other day where he was referred to as a "male hysteric" and it seemed spot on. The same goes for Virilio and a lot of other male writers and thinkers in that sort of territory;

'Baudrillard finds himself disempowered by the endlessly proliferating images which confound the real. His position becomes that of the male hysteric, due in part to the fact that intellect and reason cannot make sense of the post-modern "world of hallucinations" where image, reality, and surface representation blur into each other.'

Dissensus is a forum populated by male hysterics.

vimothy

yurp
true too--perhaps even more so--for people like land and d&g, since baurdrillard can at least be read in part as a critic of the logic of the simulacrum / techno-singularity, whereas land and d&g are solely its heralds.