KAN YAY OR KAN NAY? (The Kanye West Thread)

luka

Always on time is one of my favourite songs of all time.
No one, not even I would claim ja is a great artist but he's made classic material.

rubberdingyrapids

back to kanye though, i think kanyes gotten 'better' as a rapper (though hes not amazing). listen to champion from graduation - its a big difference. hes much more confident. ive been listening to all his albums today. i think graduation might actually be his best, for pure rapping. often he lets the music speak for him, but on this one, hes pretty dominant as an MC. its also him turning a corner as far as sort of moving towards a more confident/brasher rap persona, without losing his older one totally. weird cos at the time i thought it was disappointing to see him sort of lose that shambolic-ness he had, but now i think its just better all round. tbh though, i think its all about the music with kanye. eg - big brother. hes a great personality, even when hes a total idiot, but i think hes become a musical/production genius.

#kanyestan

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Always on time is one of my favourite songs of all time.

it's genius. The Ain't it Funny remix too, where Ja Rule goes toe-to-toe with J-Lo for the most flamboyant outfit. That kind of cartoonishness meant he could get away with lines like "I got two or three hoes for every V/And I keep 'em drugged up off that ecstasy" without anyone batting an eyelid.

Kanye - even if the beats on College Dropout are a bit soft (I think they're still mostly good), surely he'd shown what he could do already on the Blueprint? TCD was a blatant crossover attempt to woo people not usually into hip-hop, to sound a bit awkward in time-honoured indie rock tradition (and it worked, didn't it?)

luka

dont remember kanye contributed anything good to the blueprint. all the good stuff was just blaze wasnt it? (and hola hovito)

remember the kanye stuff being schmaltz

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
He did 'Takeover'. 'Never Change'. 'Heart of the City'. Three of the best songs on it IMO

The most shmaltzy song on it 'Song Cry' was Just Blaze. (FTR though I think Just Blaze is better.)

Probably repeating myself from earlier in the thread but this beat is classic

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

Now listening to GRODT. 'Many Men' is like a Max B track. Did 50 birth Max's style?

OH ABSOLUTELY.

Never mind the hooks, that flow Max uses on "Sip Grand Cru" alone is indicative of how much he loves Curtis.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/q1Bfz7_2huI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He was cool with 50 for a moment too, but obviously his legal situation was so wildly chaotic it'd be a foolish idea to get involved with him.

luka

all those kanye ones are appalling but song cry is even worse i suppose.

1.the rulers back
2.you dont know
3.hola hovito
4.all i need

in that order. who produced rulers back?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Seems like Bink's your man - the ruler's back, all i need and momma love me

TBF I actually like those three a lot too.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
you don't know is the best beat on it imo, but Heart of the City runs it v close. don't like hola hovito at all

ruler's back is produced by Bink

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
OH ABSOLUTELY.

Never mind the hooks, that flow Max uses on "Sip Grand Cru" alone is indicative of how much he loves Curtis.

I'm very interested in how singing became part of rapping - I guess it was always a part of it to some extent, but it seemed to become more pronounced around the end of the 90's. Perhaps the intersection of rap and RNB?

Quite glad cos I think I posited 50 as a major influence on Max B in my Wire mixtape primer.

luka

Grand puba like a little sing song. People like snoop, smooth b and domino were sort of melodic. Method man too in his own way. Those boundaries have been getting blurred from the beginning. Who was that staten island crew wu tang revered?

rubberdingyrapids

there were some groups who did harmonies in the block party days
then later you had bone thugs (crossroads)
missy who did both, and then mos def/lauryn hill
drake (via 808s kanye) is prob the main person who brought in the current style

Benny Bunter

I reckon kanye was a miles better rapper in the old days. Some great beats on the new one totally sabotaged by some of the worst lines ive ever heard in my life. The quietus review is pretty spot on. All that stuff about kim and ray j is just straight embarrassing.

Those freshman adjustment mixtapes are fun, just as good as college dropout.
Mercy could well be the best thing he was ever involved with though (ok he didnt produce it but still)