Sleaford Mods

CrowleyHead

Yep, turned off that signature so now nobody needs to know I have a blood phone.

Anyway, before I got Retweeted, I hadn't heard anything off The Originator. Turns out it's like The Mekon cubed - a distinctly rocky sound and lyrics almost insufferably drenched in self-hatred and degradation.

Still haven't managed to track down a full copy of SPECTRE. Anyone?

I actually found one on eBay, but it'd already been bid on and sold.

best track off the new LP for me because of that springy, fidgety bassline - where's it from? Reminds me of all those times I walked into Way Ahead in Nottingham on Saturday mornings 25 years ago and wondering what the fuck was playing on the shop's system.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Listened to them recently, just a couple of random songs off YouTube, and confidently dismissed them as a joke band. Then I read this thread and I decided to have another go, and had such a massive turnaround it makes me ashamed of myself :rolleyes:

To me, their music doesn't really make sense in some way without seeing them perform (I mean the singer obviously lol). The thing that really made me think the guy's some sort of genius was the live footage from Glastonbury this year. I was absolutely captivated by it in a way I haven't been by a "band" for a very long time.

The way they slag off Kasabian and Gallagher and rock n roll is obviously a nice bonus :D

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qlVj1BXRTzg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not sure but the pills in this picture look like Citalopram, the antidepressant that I've been on for a few years.

FASCINATING FACT.

I was going to say I find the bits in their music where he goes from shouting to singing often really haunting. And also, there's frequently bits where I think I know what he's going to say, so that you can imagine it being self-parodic, but then he slips the net.

Also love the complete lack of pretension (or at least the affront to pretension) in having him standing there drinking beer and checking his phone on stage.

john eden

male pale and stale
And consequently my opinion of the Mods has taken a big hit on hearing that they've sacked Steve as their manager. Fucking ingrates.

Ah I didn't know that. A pity. I mean it wouldn't be the first time something like that had happened.

Maybe we'll get some more Harbinger Sound releases now though? ;)

I like Kebab Spider but haven't heard the new album yet. It's good that they are supporting a domestic violence charity with the tour too.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
Ah I didn't know that. A pity. I mean it wouldn't be the first time something like that had happened.

Maybe we'll get some more Harbinger Sound releases now though? ;)

No, Steve has closed Harbinger Sound down, at least for the moment. Clearly he's totally jacked off.

As for the split: It seems Jason had later misgivings about leaving the Rough Trade infrastructure and blamed Steve for encouraging them to do it. You can understand his fears to an extent seeing as Mods is now his living and he wants to maximize it while they're still a big thing. But I notice Eton Alive has come straight in at No.9 in the album charts anyway. Doubt he'll be phoning Steve to tell him he was right though.

john eden

male pale and stale
No, Steve has closed Harbinger Sound down, at least for the moment. Clearly he's totally jacked off.

As for the split: It seems Jason had later misgivings about leaving the Rough Trade infrastructure and blamed Steve for encouraging them to do it. You can understand his fears to an extent seeing as Mods is now his living and he wants to maximize it while they're still a big thing. But I notice Eton Alive has come straight in at No.9 in the album charts anyway. Doubt he'll be phoning Steve to tell him he was right though.

Sheesh. It's a dirty business.

catalog

i just watched 'bunch of kunst' this morning. pretty standard doco but
the bit at the end where they sign to rough trade and you can tell Steve Underwood knows its the beginning of the end is kinda poignant

Steve Underwood deserves a medal for services to noise - been listening to these mixes he did for MuhMur and they're brilliant

john eden

male pale and stale
Underwood is heroic. I remember taking the piss out of him saying that the Mods could be his Depeche Mode / New Order labelwise.

They have a new single/album out soon? My attention has waned somewhat recently. Still love them but...

I liked Bunch of Kunst though. Claire is very good in it.

john eden

male pale and stale
And it turns out he didn't close Harbinger down for very long after all :)

He's proper. I met him in the toilets at that Schimpfluch event in Bristol and ended up swapping zines for the first pressing of the first SM LP.

He was also more understanding than was strictly necessary when another Dissensus poster nicked an LP off their stand at a gig one time. (Although I did retrieve said LP from up their jumper and apologised profusely).

john eden

male pale and stale
I remember approaching said poster when Steve had told me he had nicked the LP, and he was standing there looking faux innocent with an obviously LP-shaped bulge protruding from his jumper.