(Need Advice) Leaving my job before my notice ends

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
Handed in my notice at work but have got so pissed off with it that I'm considering just quitting before I've worked it out.

Don't need a reference from them (it's a second job for extra money) so not worried about that but:

I get my paycheque emailed on a monday but don't actually get paid till the friday, once I've got the paycheque is it already processed or can they fuck me over by cancelling it or something? (wouldn't be enough money to be worth going to court over, but it's enough that I can't afford to lose it)

is not being able to get a p45 going to matter?

thanks

Leo

hmm...it's only five days, that's nothing in the scheme of things. might be best to just bite the bullet and put up with it for a work week and not have to worry about it. it's easy to ignore people after you've given notice because there's not much they can do, and oftentimes they don't bother hassling you anymore because you no longer matter to them as an employee. it might end up being your easiest week on the job..

also, you might not need their reference now but who knows about the future. people there will eventually take other jobs elsewhere, they might trash talk if your name pops up down the road, etc.

then again, i'm an admitted karma pussy, so i generally shy away from burning bridges. if you really don't think you'll ever cross paths with them again and you don't need the money, then screw it. if you truly hate it that much, then it'll probably feel good to quit.

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
hmm...it's only five days, that's nothing in the scheme of things. might be best to just bite the bullet and put up with it for a work week and not have to worry about it. it's easy to ignore people after you've given notice because there's not much they can do, and oftentimes they don't bother hassling you anymore because you no longer matter to them as an employee. it might end up being your easiest week on the job..

also, you might not need their reference now but who knows about the future. people there will eventually take other jobs elsewhere, they might trash talk if your name pops up down the road, etc.

then again, i'm an admitted karma pussy, so i generally shy away from burning bridges. if you really don't think you'll ever cross paths with them again and you don't need the money, then screw it. if you truly hate it that much, then it'll probably feel good to quit.

sorry should've explained a bit better. I work weekends. So tomorrow I'll get a paycheque emailed for the last couple weekends I've worked. But I wont actually get that pay till Friday. So if I quit mid week, can they stop that paycheque going through or will it be in motion?

the 'Process Date' on the paycheque is always the friday even though it's sent on the monday previous.

And if I quit on Friday at last minute I fuck coworkers over more than I need/want to.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Work the rest of the days stipulated in your contract but spend the time changing every password, deleting every record, corrupting every database and generally sabotaging the living fuck out whatever operation you were working on.

N.b. this may not apply if you work in a bar/brothel/stud ranch etc.

you

And if I quit on Friday at last minute I fuck coworkers over more than I need/want to.

You have no responsibility for your co-workers. Managing absense and low staff is the company's responsibility not yours.

I've walked out of jobs. Always got paid what I should have got.

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
Work the rest of the days stipulated in your contract but spend the time changing every password, deleting every record, corrupting every database and generally sabotaging the living fuck out whatever operation you were working on.

N.b. this may not apply if you work in a bar/brothel/stud ranch etc.

one of the above unfortunately

You have no responsibility for your co-workers. Managing absense and low staff is the company's responsibility not yours.

I've walked out of jobs. Always got paid what I should have got.

Yeah I feel that way. But they definitely wouldn't.

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
take hostages?

I wrote an epic quitting letter when I was drunk but I don't think I'm actually going to send it and as suggested just bite rather than load the bullet

am beginning to feel a bit like Norton in fight club / freeman in fargo though :( :mad:

john eden

male pale and stale
Technically they can do you for breach of contract if you walk out but I think that's unusual.

You will need a P45 but I don't think they have any right to with-hold it from you.

If you walk out they can probably stop you getting paid if they really want to.

I think calling in sick is the best thing.