Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Google's neural networks see things that aren't there - awesome computer acid art

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    I've never had a hallucination I feel cheated I want my world to be an Alex grey painting
    Drop some 25x nBOME and you'll be begging for the hallucinations to stop. Begging.

Don't do any of that any more tbh

Quote Originally Posted by HMGovt View Post
    Interesting paper, but it's surely a major oversight not to discuss or quantify the apparent fractal nature of geometric hallucinations?
    You know, I'm not entirely convinced the apparent similarity between fractals and some of the form constants seen while tripping isn't a coincidence. Or rather, if it's not a coincidence, if the causality is the obvious way around.

Consider that 'fractals', as the public understands them (representations of the Mandelbrot and Julia sets with a very garish colour scheme chosen) started becoming well known in the late 80s/early 90s thanks in large part to James Gleick's Chaos. In other words, exactly the time acid house and rave culture were kicking off, ecstasy was becoming the club/party drug of choice and there was also a resurgence in the use of LSD.

So I'm wondering if people making images of certain fractals were inspired to use colour schemes that gave 'trippy' results, rather than there being something inherently fractal about the patterns you can see when you're tripping.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 22-06-2015 at 01:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

Possibly, but it's been established in the past decade that the neuronal organisation within the brain is fractal. This paper pre-dated that though, so fair enough. Neuronal architecture is self-similar on many, many levels, ranging from dendritic branching to distribution of relative voids in the grey matter. So it's not much of a stretch to speculate that geometric hallucinations owe some of their repeating aspects to fractal patterns.

That's an intriguing possibility.

I wonder if Roger Penrose is aware of that paper droid posted above, and what he made of it if so.
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Drop some 25x nBOME and you'll be begging for the hallucinations to stop. Begging.
    Hideous stuff - found it speedy and didn't have any visuals until I was trying to go to sleep. So yes actually I guess I was begging, because I was dead tired and I had a headache.

I think it depends on the variations, and of course you never know what it is youre actually taking - I certainly didnt. But the classic nBome trip is blinding open and closed eye hallucinations lasting 12-24 hours.

Horrible stuff. Makes LSD seem like a gentle back massage.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    I think it depends on the variations, and of course you never know what it is youre actually taking - I certainly didnt. But the classic nBome trip is blinding open and closed eye hallucinations lasting 12-24 hours.

Horrible stuff. Makes LSD seem like a gentle back massage.
    It was 'I' iirc