Vegan

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I didn't eat meat; then dairy for quite a while. I wore leather boots though. Footwear was really problematic.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Not myself, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of food when visiting vegan friends in the US last year. But then LA is probably one of the world's best places outside south Asia to go vegan?

Woebot

I didn't eat meat; then dairy for quite a while. I wore leather boots though. Footwear was really problematic.

hi sloane. if one is trying to be purist it makes less and less sense.

after all "tame" bees are used to fertilise crops. theres also the b12 problem - humans need it and its not available in vegetables (even if one can get good supplements)

im not vegan but i find sometimes a whole week will pass without meat or dairy. and while i dont miss it - i love some beef or a chicken.

im motivated more from health - but the enviromental and ethical benefits are big.

Woebot

Not myself, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of food when visiting vegan friends in the US last year. But then LA is probably one of the world's best places outside south Asia to go vegan?

it can be totally delicious. masses of different types of veg. beans. nuts. fruit.

definitely going to become much more common.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
it can be totally delicious. masses of different types of veg. beans. nuts. fruit.

definitely going to become much more common.

Hope so - going vegetarian (let alone vegan) would be easier if there were more restaurants about that did it well.

http://www.sageveganbistro.com/ this place in LA is great, if anyone happens to be (going) there - and not at all pretentious, even if the website might be a little. Their seitan was good...

I've also had lots of great vegan food in Colombia, bizarrely, thinking of countries where you (might not) expect it. Which tbh, might be most countries.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I started eating meat again after I crossed a road in order to avoid walking past a butchers because I was getting increasingly disgusted by meat; and as I was doing it, I just thought "This is getting really unworkable".

Vegan food is delicious. It just means it's hard to eat out unless you're in a city, and you do end up thinking about what to eat for nutritional and vitamin value alot, which I didn't enjoy.

If I did it now, I'd live on different types of Chinese stuff from Fuschia Dunlop's Every Grain of Rice, which is about 70% veggie recipes. I wish I'd had it then.

I'm very very glad I never have to eat a dried tofu chunk ever again though; that shit is worse than dog food. We called it "gak".

Woebot

I'm very very glad I never have to eat a dried tofu chunk ever again though; that shit is worse than dog food. We called it "gak".

heh heh. 95% of the tofu one can buy is sh*t. yellow and spongey. gotta agree with you. but the fresh stuff that comes floating in brine (?) (like the fancy mozzarella is packaged) that can be really delicious.

soya milk is definite no-no though. soya needs to be turned into soya sauce or tofu. really unhealthy unprocessed.

black beans rock. i love lentils too.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
The Clear Spot smoked tofu is kind of great. We just had some with char-fried sprouts and red onions and a bit of sichuan chilli bean paste etc.

I don't know if smoked tofu is a trad chinese thing or not, but you can normally get it in health food shops if nowhere else.

Woebot

Not a problem as long as you like Marmite.

the B12 in marmite is added - it's not naturally occurring.

i guess it's more of a theoretical point. as in how can you say that humans are not supposed to eat meat if an entirely vital nutrient for our wellbeing is not present naturally/historically in any other form? it's a real theoretical stumbling point for veganism - but not an issue if one simply takes a supplement.

hardcore vegans try and make largely bonkers arguments about how our forefathers would have been able to get the necessary B12 fix.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
But is Marmite "naturally occurring" full stop? And how about tofu? And Quorn? And soy milk? And...

A quick google suggests Marmite is fully vegan, since the B12 is itself derived from a yeast source. (So it's not plant-derived, but it's not animal-derived either.)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm not quite sure why I'm posting in this thread as I'm neither vegetarian nor vegan and have no interest in becoming either, but it's interesting that Marmite should come up as I have a hunch that fungi could become more and more important as a global food source in the coming century.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm not quite sure why I'm posting in this thread as I'm neither vegetarian nor vegan and have no interest in becoming either, but it's interesting that Marmite should come up as I have a hunch that fungi could become more and more important as a global food source in the coming century. Does our resident techno-utopian HMGovt have an opinion on this?

Edit: still, like most people, I could and arguably should try to eat a bit less meat.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure why I'm posting in this thread as I'm neither vegetarian nor vegan and have no interest in becoming either, but it's interesting that Marmite should come up as I have a hunch that fungi could become more and more important as a global food source in the coming century. Does our resident techno-utopian HMGovt have an opinion on this?

Edit: still, like most people, I could and arguably should try to eat a bit less meat.

Makes sense. Not only good to eat, useful for packaging too.

myco-foam-packaging-5bc3206d8b2af9d8652c44862644ff2a88bb276ebb7f0bb8a6  7f628e5cd6e2ed.jpg

As featured on this excellent BBC4 doc (intro clip only, it's dropped off iplayer again)

PS

im-a-vegan-comic.jpg

Last edited:

Woebot

But is Marmite "naturally occurring" full stop? And how about tofu? And Quorn? And soy milk? And...

A quick google suggests Marmite is fully vegan, since the B12 is itself derived from a yeast source. (So it's not plant-derived, but it's not animal-derived either.)

an interesting point certainly mr tea. but we're talking about man's early evolution here though.

"A vitamin B12 deficiency is a serious disorder and indications of a deficiency of vitamin B12, when they do reach a stage where they have shown up, can be quite severe. Fatigue, paleness, anorexia, mental confusion, delusions, paranoia, weight loss, respiratory problems, etc. are just some indications that a person may have a B12-deficiency."

hm! mental confusion!