the bush last night

adruu

This Is It
i should have known better than to have the t.v. on, but the dope managed to infuriate me with this:

Q:And what the Iranians have said is, Don't we deserve to have a nuclear power industry just like you do?

A:I'm, kind of, wondering why they need one, since THEY'VE GOT ALL THE OIL. But nevertheless....(emphasis mine)

ALL THE OIL?!?!? wtfark? This is wrong on so many levels...

fldsfslmn

excremental futurism
As was the hilarious Bush The Consensus Builder schtick. A paraphrase: "We're working together with four other nations to pursue dip-lo-matic solutions. Of course, all options are on the table" (pregnant pause).

So very many WTFs in such a short time.

adruu

This Is It
uh No, I dont think they need nuclear reactors. I dont think NonProlif is the issue here. Russia seems to be happy with the idea of a nuclear iran though.

Come on though, you don't think that was a deranged comment? ALL the oil? He says this sh*t in a press conference? Iran has ALL of the oil in the world? or you think he was being savvy right?

craner

Beast of Burden
I don't think he actually meant all the oil in the world. He was talking about Iran's oil, of which there's a lot.

adruu

This Is It
That's exactly how it came off to me, as sort of a western-war-fantasy that brown people are hiding oil, but yes, i'm a bush-hater. dumb thread -- apologies.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
I agree with Oliver, that's how it sounded to me.

I watched it and was suprised at how much sense he was talking about energy policy (ie needing to reduce dependancy on foreign oil, improve energy conservation, etc) but when you actually look at the energy bill that was just passed it was just another round of gimmes for the energy industry. Oh well.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
They're not really that brown are they, though, the Persians? Sort of beige, really.

My cousin Catherine married an Iranian and he's got the same skin color as her.

O

Omaar

He also said in that speech/interview:

"Actually, I said in my opening statement that the best way to affect the current price of gasoline is to encourage producing nations to put more crude oil on the market.

That's the most effective way, because the price of crude oil determines in large measure the price of gasoline. The feed stock for gasoline is crude oil, and when crude oil goes up, the price of gasoline goes up.

There are other factors, by the way, that cause the price of gasoline to go up, but the main factor is the price of crude oil. And if we can get nations that have got some excess capacity to put crude on the market, the increased supply, hopefully, will meet increased demand and therefore take the pressure off price."

So is he saying that Iran has "all the oil" , and that they should put more on the market to lower the price for American Consumers? Or just Iraq? And Venzuela?

"See, what they recognize is that what America recognizes and what Great Britain, France and Germany recognize, is that we can't trust the Iranians when it comes to enriching uranium; that they should not be allowed to enrich uranium.

And what the Iranians have said is, "Don't we deserve to have a nuclear power industry just like you do?"

I'm, kind of, wondering why they need one, since they've got all the oil. But nevertheless, others in the world say, "Well, maybe that's their right to have their own civilian nuclear power industry."

And what Russia said: "Fine, we'll provide you the uranium. We'll enrich it for you and provide it to you and then we'll collect it."

And I appreciate that gesture. So I think Vladimir was trying to help there. I know Vladimir Putin understands the dangers of an Iran with a nuclear weapon. And most of the world understands that as well."

O

Omaar

Exxon reports record earnings: Excluding special items, profit was $US7.4 billion up from $US5.44 billion in the first quarter of 2004.

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/news/scnews/article.php/a29bf86d

BP, the world's second biggest oil company, forecast yesterday that oil prices would remain above US$40 a barrel for the remainder of this year but said there would be no relaxation of its rules governing investment in new projects.

The forecast came as BP unveiled record first quarter profits of US$5.5bn - a 29 per cent increase on the same period last year - thanks to the surging oil price.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=3&ObjectID=10122731

Unocal Corp. said Thursday that first-quarter earnings jumped 69 percent from last year on strong crude oil and natural gas prices, and a 5 percent increase in output.

http://www.labusinessjournal.com/ar...091892.1135992.3382705.6676646.267&aID2=87375