Leo

it all sounds great and I would love for it to happen, I just see no logical path to making it happen.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I will say that it is weird how many people there are who completely unwilling to believe that Bernie's ideas are feasible. The problem is not that his policies can't be costed, it's that there are load of people who have been utterly brainwashed to believe that any kind of more generous social benefits is utterly loony toons pie in the sky fairy tale madness and, that specifically, it is literally impossible for any country to offer any kind of "free at the point of use" healthcare systems along the lines of any of the "free at the point of use" systems that countless other countries do offer. I don't know what you do with these people or how you argue with them (maybe you have to accept that some people are just inflexible and insane and hope there aren't as many of them as it seems) - but the a lot of the issue is not about whether things can be paid for but whether people can accept that they can.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Maybe you remember this article from a "Conservative woman attending an AOC rally" that was all around a little while back.
As far as I know this is not a joke, and what I get from reading it is that this woman is completely insane. She doesn't have a problem with the costing of free healthcare, she is simply ideologically opposed to it cos she knows that it is evil.

But then Ocasio-Cortez spoke, followed by Bush, and I saw something truly terrifying. I saw just how easy it would be, were I less involved and less certain of our nation’s founding and its history, to fall for the populist lines they were shouting from that stage
I saw how easy it would be, as a parent, to accept the idea that my children deserve healthcare and education.
I saw how easy it would be, as someone who has struggled to make ends meet, to accept the idea that a “living wage” was a human right.
Above all, I saw how easy it would be to accept the notion that it was the government’s job to make sure that those things were provided.
Absolutely staggering stuff. I don't even get what she's saying - or trying to say - she knows how the nation was founded and so she understands that her children don't deserve healthcare? I mean what the fucking fuck? I'd love to have the chance to interview her and ask her to unpack that argument, the steps that take you from the first line to the last. It really seems as though it can't possibly be real... perhaps it's not, I dunno, but I have seen people say the same things (more or less) on Twitter and in other places.
How can you reason with these people who, as far as I can tell - and I'm not someone who just says this for anyone who disagrees with me on any topic - has been completely brainwashed to argue against obvious facts that in fact support their own interests and are one hundred percent convinced they are right?

https://dailycaller.com/2018/07/23/conservative-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-rally/

Leo

big post-iowa swing:

Black Democratic voters, in last pre-Iowa Quinnipiac poll
Biden 49%
Sanders 17%
Bloomberg 7%

Black voters, in post-Iowa poll
Biden 27%
Sanders 19%
Bloomberg 22%

version

Apparently prosecutors are resigning over the Roger Stone case because the DOJ's trying to interfere and get him a shorter sentence.

The entire team prosecuting Roger Stone abruptly resigned from the criminal case on Tuesday after the Justice Department said it planned to reduce the recommended sentence for Stone, a longtime Trump associate.

The Justice Department on Tuesday said it was pulling back on its request to sentence Stone to seven to nine years in prison after President Donald Trump blasted the sentencing proposal as "a miscarriage of justice."

The revised recommendation doesn't ask for a particular sentence but says the one that was recommended earlier "does not accurately reflect the Department of Justice’s position on what would be a reasonable sentence in this matter" and that the actual sentence should be "far less."

IdleRich

IdleRich
I seriously think that they will cheat and if they lose they will try and fight it in court. Not long ago I wouldn't have seriously thought that was possible but now I think it's more than likely.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Can anyone explain whether Bloomberg actually has a chance? The bookies seem to think he's second favourite for the Democratic nomination at the moment, which suggests an answer to my own question, but all the stuff I've read suggests that it's not that likely.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I didn't bother reading the article, but this George Monbiot headline popped up on various feeds the other day and I remember thinking yeah, that's pretty much how it feels at the moment.

‘Try to stop me’ – the mantra of our leaders who are now ruling with impunity

A culture of impunity is spreading around the world. “Try to stop me” is the implicit motto in nations ranging from Hungary to Israel, Saudi Arabia to Russia, Turkey to China, Poland to Venezuela. Flaunting your disregard for the law is an expression of power.

Something I admire a lot about Monbiot is that he isn't on anyone's "side" except, in the broadest sense, humanity's.

Leo

Bloomberg seems to have a chance but hard to tell until he's on some actual ballots in some states. I posted some poll numbers a few days ago, his support among African Americans jumped from 7% before the Iowa caucus to 22% after, and all he's done so far is advertising (also helped by Biden's fall). that's a key constituency in the democratic coalition and one that he was supposedly not able to get due to NYC "stop and frisk", so you never know. He can certainly outspend anyone, including trump and the GOP.

I read this summary of Bloomberg the other day, I'm sure droid will agree:

He surrounds himself with excellent people, takes thoughtful decisions, measures results, changes his mind when necessary, has an ethical core and doesn’t let ideology get in the way of pragmatism. And in this season of nonstop harping on the rich, he’s a reminder that starting great businesses is good for America, that great wealth can also do great good, and that you should never judge the moral worth of a person by the size of his or her bank account, no matter how small or large.

Leo

interesting possible scenario: Bloomberg, buttigieg and klobuchar split the moderate vote while sanders consolidates the progressive vote (as Elizabeth warren fades) and wins the primary. Bernie has a lot of money and can afford to tough it out for awhile.

the other possibility is Buttigieg and Klobuchar run out of money or stream (after losing in non-white states), so moderates consolidate behind Bloomberg and he goes one-on-one versus sanders. two old, non-democrat jews battling it out for the democratic nomination.