Leo

every candidate has strengths and weaknesses, accomplishments and embarrassing decisions/moments. I'd vote for my cat's scratching post if it was running again trump, who cares.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I just can't process the thought that there are actual floating voters out there at this stage. Are there people going "I like what Trump's done with the pandemic but I'm not happy about his impeachment (or vice versa), I think I'll see who Biden picks as VP?"

Leo

VP picks have historically had very little impact on a ticket's polling and votes, although I do think Sarah Palin prompted a number of independents and republicans to just stay home that year.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
it's frustrating the choice is between Trump or the status quo which led to Trump
that ship sailed when Biden locked up the nomination, his VP pick wasn't going to magically change that

I'm no Harris fan but unless the President dies the VP is way less important than key Cabinet positions, which party controls the Senate, etc

she's the safest realistic choice, will excite no one but also won't make anyone stay home despite her noted issues

and making safe, boring choices is extremely on-brand for Biden

[shrugs] most presidential elections are a frustrating lesser of two evils choice between two status quo candidates anyway

in that sense this isn't too different

padraig (u.s.)

honestly tho, they're probably better off at this point just playing error-free ball and letting Trump hang himself

especially given the Biden's legendary propensity for error

in 2016 I thought Hilary's campaign was so fucking lackluster but this time, with the insanity of the last 6 months, let alone 4 years?

we simply cannot have another term of this madness and incompetence

especially with a COVID winter looming and no idea when a vaccine will be widely available

it's all hands on deck. I'd vote for fucking zombie Richard Nixon over Trump.

linebaugh

that ship sailed when Biden locked up the nomination, his VP pick wasn't going to magically change that

I'm no Harris fan but unless the President dies the VP is way less important than key Cabinet positions, which party controls the Senate, etc

she's the safest realistic choice, will excite no one but also won't make anyone stay home despite her noted issues

and making safe, boring choices is extremely on-brand for Biden

[shrugs] most presidential elections are a frustrating lesser of two evils choice between two status quo candidates anyway

in that sense this isn't too different
its slightly different in that there is an emerging faction of perhaps a tad less ghoulish politicians in the democratic party that could theoretically take these spots, which makes it all the more frustrating

padraig (u.s.)

an emerging faction of perhaps a tad less ghoulish politicians
oh shit for real? I hadn't noticed. it's right there in the comment buddy - that ship sailed the day Biden sewed the nomination.

what was he, going to ask AOC? of course not.

the only realistic choice there was Warren, and then you have two old white people from the coastal NE, which sounds like guaranteed failure.

it's an unexciting choice. Biden is an unexciting candidate. the Democrats are by and large a thoroughly unexciting party

expecting to be anything but frustrated by electoral politics at the national level is a fool's errand

linebaugh

oh shit for real? I hadn't noticed. it's right there in the comment buddy - that ship sailed the day Biden sewed the nomination.

what was he, going to ask AOC? of course not.

the only realistic choice there was Warren, and then you have two old white people from the coastal NE, which sounds like guaranteed failure.

it's an unexciting choice. Biden is an unexciting candidate. the Democrats are by and large a thoroughly unexciting party.

expecting to be anything but frustrated by electoral politics at the national level is a fool's errand.
Easy partner. I wasn't saying you were wrong. I was just speaking to the feeling- why one might again feel prompted to lament the choice between two evils even though that is and always will be the case