version

Someone asked Trump about QAnon,

“I don’t know much about the movement other than I understand they like me very much, which I appreciate,” he said. “I have heard that it is gaining in popularity.”

“These are people that don’t like seeing what’s going on in places like Portland and places like Chicago and New York and other cities and states. I’ve heard these are people that love our country and they just don’t like seeing it.”

A reporter followed up, pointing out that QAnon supporters believe Trump is “secretly saving the world from this Satanic cult of pedophiles and cannibals”. The president replied flippantly: “I haven’t heard that but is that supposed to be a good thing or a bad thing?

“If I can help save the world from problems, I’m willing to do it, I’m willing to put myself out there and we are, actually. We’re saving the world from a radical left philosophy that will destroy this country and, when this country is gone, the rest of the world will follow.”

version

I assume it's somewhat instinctive, but he's brilliant at both offering just enough for people to see what they want in it and spinning an argument or situation in a way which unbalances his opponents. Case in point,

A reporter followed up, pointing out that QAnon supporters believe Trump is “secretly saving the world from this Satanic cult of pedophiles and cannibals”. The president replied flippantly: “I haven’t heard that but is that supposed to be a good thing or a bad thing?

You can't answer that question without appearing to accept that that's what's happening and having to spend time and energy explaining why it's supposed to be a good thing but isn't actually happening.

Leo

sure, but it's all just word games. what he said means nothing, changes nothing, influences no one.

Leo

re: the bannon story, a comment on the NYT story:

I've been reading the comments on Brian Kolfage's Facebook page. They are quite telling: no one believes that he would scam anyone (I think that it's rather obvious he has); they can't understand why he's been arrested (again, pretty obvious why); and it's solely a plot to prevent the (proverbial) Wall from being built.

version

Very predictable, but there's always the question of how many are bots and paid posters looking to push a particular narrative and confuse people.

Leo

maybe part of it is competing for the ear of the leader.

Bannon wanted to use trump to push his (Bannon's) cultural and political agenda (drain the Washington swamp, anti-immigration, protectionism, nationalism...or so he claims), whereas stone was just a dirty trickster who just wanted to get his sleazy buddy elected and then do some side-grifting, he never had a political agenda. Bannon thought stone was distracting from the greater goals, stone thought Bannon was deceiving/using trump for his own purposes. they are probably both right.