IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah this is big news... of course the defence completely ignored it in their statement today and banged on about this completely discredited Biden thing which the Republican base totally believes. It does put more pressure on them to call witnesses though as more and more of the country seem to want that. Also Romney has said he thinks a few of the senate will vote to have witnesses... which sounds promising.
Amazing though, Thursday (I think it was) we had the Parnas interview on telly, Friday Parnas' tape proving he DOES know Trump comes out, Monday Bolton's book incriminating Trump is leaked... what will it be tomorrow? Apparently Parnas has more tapes so maybe one of those?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Oh turns out we didn't even have to wait for tomorrow, there are more leaks from the Bolton book about Trump doing favours for other autocratic leaders...

IdleRich

IdleRich
It looks as though Pelosi knew this was all gonna break and delayed the articles of impeachment so that it would come out before the trial was done.

Leo

nancy's no dummy, the dems would be lost without her wiliness.

at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if les parnas has tapes of me.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's really in the balance whether they allow witnesses, there ought to be three Rs who vote for witnesses but they need four. Polls are showing that the majority of voters DO want to see witnesses and I guess the senators realise they might pay a price if they go against them, but if they do allow witnesses then the information that comes out might be devastating enough to do even more damage to them in the next elections. I guess it's that calculus they have to work with. Also it seems they are pissed off that Trump knew that the Bolton stuff was coming out and didn't tell them, it's possible they will abandon him if they think he's abandoned them - or that might be wishful thinking on my part.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Now they are saying there aren't enough votes to deny witnesses... if you can believe anything these guys say

NEWS from @WSJ: GOP Leaders Say They Don't Currently Have Enough Votes to Block Witnesses
McConnell told Republicans the vote total wasn’t where it needed to be...He had a card with "yes," "no," and "maybes" marked on it, apparently a whip count0

IdleRich

IdleRich
It seems the vote on witnesses is crucial cos if they vote no then the Rs will immediately move to acquit and they will obviously win that vote (as they only need a third plus one). If however witnesses are voted for then the trial is still alive and who knows what might happen?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Jesus fucking Christ!

One of Trump’s lawyers, Alan Dershowitz, made the controversial argument that the president’s request for Ukraine to investigate Democrats was in the public interest because Trump considered his reelection to be in the public interest.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The Onion might as well just call it a day at this point.
He must be totally senile... surely he can't have meant to say that. Not sure it was great PR to get one of Epstein's mates to defend him to start with.
Also he's changed his position 180 degrees since the Clinton impeachment, seems to be doing more harm than good to Trump.

version

A recent SNL skit had Dershowitz temporarily transported to Hell so that The Devil could fan out and shake his hand.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think the devil would be reconsidering on his latest form

Senator Joe Manchin posed a question pointed toward Alan Dershowitz, noting that “high crimes and misdemeanors” clearly doesn’t refer to a statutory crime.
“What has happened in the past 22 years to change the original intent of the framers?” he asked. Dershowitz’s response: “What happened was that the current president was impeached.”
Whaaaat?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Loads of polls saying the US public is strongly in favour of having witnesses, one poll put it as high as eighty percent, most have it in the seventies... puts the Senators in a bit of a bind hopefully...

Leo

someone posted: Netanyahu has been charged with bribery, fraud and breach of trust. I guess Trump will suspend aid to Israel until they can show they are cleaning up their corruption.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Senator Lisa Murkowski, a potential Republican swing vote on the question of witnesses, just asked an extraordinary question. Noting the reporting on former national security advisor John Bolton’s unpublished book, she wrote: “This dispute about material facts weighs in favor of calling additional witnesses with direct knowledge. Why should this body not call Ambassador Bolton?”
The president’s counsel responded that calling witnesses in this case would set a bad precedent for future impeachment trials. “I think that’s very damaging for the future of this institution,” said Patrick Philbin.
Murkowski has maintained that she’s undecided on witnesses. During the dinner break, she was seen huddling with Lamar Alexander, another Republican who may vote in favor of witnesses.
Hmmm, is it just me or does that look good? If those two are in AND Romney and Collins that would do it.
Ludicrous response by the way, every single other impeachment trial has called witnesses so how would this be setting a precedent? It's amazing that the lawyers are able to get up and tell straight up lies without being challenged by the Judge.