Leo

well, I don't think anyone needs to worry about a Bloomberg presidency. good god, that was probably the worst debate performance in history. came off totally unprepared for the most obvious questions/attacks, fumbled his talking points, terrible attempts to brush off workplace harassment suits as "maybe they didn't like my bad joke", etc. clay feet.

another billion in TV ads will reach a lot more people than those who watched the debate but not sure it can counteract what went on last night.

I actually came away thinking either sanders or warren could handle themselves well one-on-one with trump on the debate stages, able to match his attacks but also armed with knowledge and facts. neither is my ideal candidate but they wouldn't melt onstage and go down without a fight.

version

Intel officials say Russia boosting Trump candidacy

WASHINGTON (AP) — Intelligence officials have warned lawmakers that Russia is interfering in the 2020 election campaign to help President Donald Trump get reelected, three officials familiar with the closed-door briefing said Thursday.

The warning raises questions about the integrity of the presidential campaign and whether Trump’s administration is taking the proper steps to combat the kind of interference that the U.S. saw in 2016.

The officials asked for anonymity to discuss sensitive intelligence. They said the briefing last week focused on Russia’s efforts to influence the 2020 election and sow discord in the American electorate.

The warning was first reported by The New York Times and The Washington Post. A senior administration official said the news infuriated Trump, who complained that Democrats would use the information against him. Over the course of his presidency, Trump has dismissed the intelligence community’s assessment of Russia’s 2016 election interference as a conspiracy to undermine his victory. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the private meeting.

One day after the Feb. 13 briefing to the House Intelligence Committee, Trump berated the then-director of national intelligence, Joseph Maguire, and he announced this week that Maguire would be replaced by Richard Grenell, a Trump loyalist.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Best to assume that Russia will be interfering in any major election it can interfere in for the foreseeable. Surely the Americans have enough insight into rigging elections in other countries to be able to counter this tho? This handwringing is a bit comical in that context, like the mafia worrying about the unethical business practices of another crime syndicate - hey, these guys are even more underhand than us!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
for them it's a godsend, the best guys are on their side , for the election at least. why bother with an election strategy when the russians will sort it out

version

Bernie's apparently been briefed by the intelligence services re: Russia trying to help him too and now Trump's claiming Schiff leaked it in order to damage Bernie and says it needs investigating. It's difficult to know what to make of it as the DNC could well be moving against Bernie, but it could just be Trump using anything he can to pit the Democrats against one another, split the vote and discredit the allegations against him.

Leo

the intrigue is pretty crazy, reality almost putting "house of cards" to shame (except for the murders).

Bernie's built some real momentum, led the Nevada caucus in every demographic -- city and suburbs, college educated and not, union and non-union,, white/black/latino -- except for old folks, who went for Biden. South Carolina could slow him down slightly (or not) but the whole thing could be over in 10 days after Super Tuesday. if that happens, the DNC would be taking a huge risk in trying to railroad him.

Leo

our role model president

President Donald Trump addressed a massive public rally early Monday in India, where he showered the country and its prime minister with praise—but repeatedly struggled with his pronunciation.

The 100,000-seat stadium in the state of Gujarat was reportedly at capacity by the time Trump arrived—he walked to the stage with Prime Minister Narendra Modi as the sound of the Village People song “Macho Man” rang out over loudspeakers. Trump was cheered as he told the crowd that their country “will always hold a very special place in our hearts,” and said of the PM: “Everybody loves him but I will tell you this, he is very tough.”

BBC News India kept a running total of the Indian words Trump managed to mispronounce, including Ahmedabad, the city where he was speaking. He reportedly referred to the Indian philosopher Swami Vivekananda as Swami Vivekamanan, and called the Vedas—ancient Hindu religious texts—“Vestas.” He also mangled the names of India’s biggest cricket stars.

The BBC reports some in the crowd began leaving midway through Trump’s speech.

Leo

wonder if coronavirus will impact trump's base, since they disregard science and continue to gather in large groups at his rallies.

Leo

If Biden ultimately wins the nomination, we’ll be able to say that these things didn’t matter this year:

-Money
-TV ads
-Organization
-Enthusiasm
-Candidate quality

In other words, pretty much everything we think is supposed to matter.

droid

If Biden ultimately wins the nomination, we’ll be able to say that these things didn’t matter this year:

-Money
-TV ads
-Organization
-Enthusiasm
-Candidate quality

In other words, pretty much everything we think is supposed to matter.

+ Dementia

Leo

+ Dementia

Christ, Droid. He's certainly not as sharp as he used to be but geez, Russian propaganda much? I just did a search and the only references are on obviously-biased sites and an interview with Don Jr.

droid

Christ, Droid. He's certainly not as sharp as he used to be but geez, Russian propaganda much? I just did a search and the only references are on obviously-biased sites and an interview with Don Jr.

lol. I think you may need to look just a little bit harder. Watch these. 36 seconds in on the first one.

Biden is clearly in cognitive decline. Hillary was a terrible candidate, but I don't think you could say that she wasnt in full possession of her faculties. It would be irresponsible to ask Joe to babysit a 6 year old, putting him onto a debate stage with a monster like Trump would just be cruel, he'll be ripped to shreds.

Im sorry to say that Im beginning to doubt your political acuity Leo. First you endorse the racist Republican billionaire trying to buy the election, and now you're seemingly ignoring that the great white hope is a frail old man who can barely get through a speech without stumbling repeatedly and looking scared and confused.

version

I'm with droid on this one. I've seen a few clips of Biden dropping clangers and looking like he doesn't quite know where he is. I'd obviously vote for him over Trump were I in the US, but it's hard to work up any enthusiasm or think he has a chance.

Leo

LOL...I never endorsed Bloomberg, merely dared to share some of his characteristics (said by others) that were strictly verboten inside the twitter bubble. and Biden will surely have a hard time one on one versus trump, no doubt.