Status
Not open for further replies.

sus

jesus christ that makes it infinitely worse, not better

whatever, man. For someone who grew up spending his afternoons reading pop criticism, and digging through records, it's exciting to see a band who can work in that frame and riff on the historybooks, on the strange identity of being a "cultural consumer" in the online era, with you. I assumed more people around this forum would feel similarly

luka

and hardcore (the uk dance music) from the early 90s. you are allowed to listen to that sometimes.

sus

You're getting into conceptronica territory when the focus is stuff like that rather than the music. It's too studied and self-aware. Drains it of something.

yeah, but I was never one for the libidinal, I'm more Apollonian than Dionysian at the end of the day

linebaugh

Its also become an increasingly unattractive position. We all know whats cool. We all know how to consume culture, thats easy. Whats tough is getting taken outside that

sus

I think it's an issue if the concept lives outside of the music, i.e. in interviews, in hifalutin gallery explainers. But if it lives inside the riffs, the lyrics, the stage shows, the costuming, etc

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
The point is that rock as a genre is in a retro stage, and this is an attempt to do something interesting within it
my dude, that has been the situation for decades, and people have been making reference to that fact for decades

I defend your right to like whatever you want but this garbage you're posting is not remotely interesting, I'm sorry

indie rock first becomes a category in the 80s, becomes self-referential in the 90s i.e., Pavement etc

the Strokes etc generation did an NYC-centric version 20 years ago, none of which was any good

you're posting the shadow of the fading bleached bones of a picked over carcass seen from afar by the faint light of a guttering candle

Status
Not open for further replies.