Status
Not open for further replies.

luka

anyway to go back to my original point what is the appropriate level of bullying for anyone who steps out of the group-parameters? how should we police ourselves and make sure no one ever violates the rules and expresses a liking for something they are expressly not allowed to like?

luka

you can't just ignore it. there has to be some vicious merciless pisstaking or you lose group cohesion and identity.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I know you're over 6 foot but back in school I'd have called you "beanpole" and made jokes about you having to duck to get into the classroom.

sus

The first step to understanding the outgroup is attempting to appreciate it

Miller's Law of communication: "In order to understand a claim, you must first assume it's true, then figure out how."

Suspended's law of taste: "In order to appreciate a work, you must first assume it's good, then figure out how"

luka

me? im not over 6 foot. im exactly 6 ft. the height of a normal healthy man not a gangly freak of nature.

luka

The first step to understanding the outgroup is attempting to appreciate it

Miller's Law of communication: "In order to understand a claim, you must first assume it's true, then figure out how."

Suspended's law of taste: "In order to appreciate, a work, you must first assume it's good, then figure out how"

yes, this is all true however im less concerned here with appreciating a work than enforcing strict conformity and group cohesion.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape

Ive been listening to this, its new, nice krautrock style dirge. 5:30 if you don't have patience for the drone
that's pretty good

there's plenty of that type of stuff floating around, of varying quality, in various scenes

this is one of my favorite modern - 10 years old - guitar records. out of the relatively febrile Chilean scene, BYM Records etc.

padraig (u.s.)

@Linebaugh I assume by "modern rock acts" you're excluding people who've been around for a long time i.e. Boris?

I'd point to things like White Hills, Squadra Omega, Goat, The Myrrors, etc

definitely in the psych/improv/krautrock, etc vein

or on a slightly different tip, Altin Gun and Khruangbin

those are the kinds of people I find "interesting" in the expansively defined world of current guitar-driven rock or rock-adjacent music

people mining the past for new directions forward, or at least searching for new directions

rather than just using it as empty symbolism

padraig (u.s.)

Black Midi is too prog/post-rock "look at good we are at playing our instruments" for me

but I can imagine they'd be good live

muser

I like khruangbin, mainly the stuff that was riffing off of Thai molam I dunno why they didn't just expand on that more.

linebaugh

@Linebaugh I assume by "modern rock acts" you're excluding people who've been around for a long time i.e. Boris?

or on a slightly different tip, Altin Gun and Khruangbin
yah, the boris types excluded.

I like Khruangbin some, but it reminds me a little too much of a craft brewery. Not modern, but have you heard this?

linebaugh

I think my favorite modern rock group that could be fairly classified as 'indie' is Women. I think most of their small output is great

Status
Not open for further replies.