Status
Not open for further replies.

sus

Explosions in the Sky, anything from Scandinavia, anything with invented languages and electric cellos, that's what Luka wants

luka

a question for The Dudes. is catalog right when he says american whites arent allowed to listen to contemporary black music anymore?

luka

mvuent you are allowed to answer this question too if you like though strictly speaking you are not a dude.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
I like Khruangbin some, but it reminds me a little too much of a craft brewery
yes, I have the same hesitancy. and it's too conceptually precious. and the fucking wigs.

but the quality won me over. or, more or less.

the guitar player is drawing on a vast tradition of 70s world fuzz which he seems to know inside out and that motherfucker shreds

the rhythm section is rock-solid too, definite hip hop and (per the bass player) dubwise consciousness

all of which could easily end up as tasteful and/or blase disaster, for sure, but for me it gets just onto the right side of the line

think of them as a modern take on the classic power trio

sus

I don't think it's disallowed; I think it's complicated and there's a fair number of possible bad looks. "White people love black culture but hate black people" is a common refrain online; white boys rapping along to black music, or freestyling, is seen as icky/gross/borderline racist.

But it's probably fair to say white boys get more shit for listening to Bon Iver or smthing tho than black music

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Not modern, but have you heard this?
idk about that comp in particular but yeah I'm familiar with psychedelic cumbia as a thing, I've heard some

not really my thing, but I do appreciate the application of imported guitar fuzz to a native musical tradition

60-70s world fuzz is a real mixed bag for me in general

there are occasionally amazing records but there's also a ton of mediocre to straight up trash hyped up by the reissue industrial complex

which tbf is true of many things, including - in re guitar digging for reissues - garage rock, 60s psych, turn of the 70s heavy psych, and 70s hard rock

Zamrock for instance is a huge disappointment when you actually listen to it, outside of a couple exceptions (namely Witch)

Status
Not open for further replies.