Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Not the biggest David Bowie fan but I really like this one. It got in my head today cos I was watching clips/breakdowns of The House that Jack Built, a movie I refuse to watch for fear of disturbance but am constantly peeking through my fingers at.

Here's a video edit of the movie someone made to the song (WARNING contains horrible images.)

kumar

ive had this on all weekend, theres 15 seconds which is the most beautiful music ive ever heard. the rest is okay. the main guy involved is called jonathan price, he had a band called software who sound a bit like a herky jerky cold war thatcher version of ween. some of his music was used for a video called mirrors with moving images created by a man called ed newstead. i was just watching it and found out that ed was killed in 1992 while working as a cycle courier to eke out an uncompromising living as a principled video artist. the music on the nature lovers record and the mirrors film in particular has that general correlation to themes of "the avant garde" and "resistance" that you find all over the 80s in particular that feel completely untenable and ancient now.

luka

But this is where the stuff we are talking about in the McLuhan thread becomes so important. What is driving the process and does its interests align with our own

kumar

well yes its classic middle aged lazy wisdom borne from property right comfort, the underground got a mortgage and gave up the fight etc.

kumar

i guess my fantasy idea of what the aesthetic blueprint was for a lot of that sort of late 70s 80s industrial freakout period seems really quaint, it just seems tied up with a cartoon idea of avant garde art, like mark heaps character in spaced. mildewed bare floorboards in an old meat packing warehouse, someone painted up like a viennese actionist, some cut up typewriter poems on an inner sleeve. the idea that resistance would be associated with something as feckless and complicit as 20th century fine art seems like a glaring error in hindsight.

kumar

but theres also the lack of crippling self awareness and the sense of a grubby, alien, smoking on the tube world that has always seemed magical and compelling to people born too late to live in the real world

kumar

i went to see dennis bovell give a talk a few years ago, and first of all he is one of the best raconteurs to ever do it, and he had a really good bit where he was talking about recording with joss stone and she suddenly wanting to ad lib the line "excuse me while i light my spliff", his face was priceless. anyway i asked a question about how ive grown up with the idea of britain in the 70s / 80s being on the one hand really grim but also a fervent period of unabashed manic cross pollinating crazy hybrid music and culture, and whether that received wisdom matched up with his take from the time, working with the pop group etc. it was a really good question. i cant remember what he said.

luka

My sense is that the music was rubbish and the cross pollinations artificial graft jobs and it took the 90s to really make it organic and magical

luka

i went to see dennis bovell give a talk a few years ago, and first of all he is one of the best raconteurs to ever do it, and he had a really good bit where he was talking about recording with joss stone and she suddenly wanting to ad lib the line "excuse me while i light my spliff", his face was priceless. anyway i asked a question about how ive grown up with the idea of britain in the 70s / 80s being on the one hand really grim but also a fervent period of unabashed manic cross pollinating crazy hybrid music and culture, and whether that received wisdom matched up with his take from the time, working with the pop group etc. it was a really good question. i cant remember what he said.

Little bit of speculative chat about it here https://www.dissensus.com/index.php?threads/15676/page-4#post-475008

Status
Not open for further replies.