Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo

was just having a vodka cranberry in the Guildford Arms and this came on. Top Tune.

I thought it was great to be straight! ;)

never heard this before, it's ok but one of those tunes with a beat but no real hook. kept waiting waiting for it to kick in, maybe I'm lacking the context or proper nostalgia.

Leo

listened to it for a second time and it clicked a little more, think maybe I was originally distracted by the video. mea culpa.

RE: skynyrd, most Americans don't get it either. the undying sound of rebel-flag waving southern rebellion, still holding a civil war grudge against effeminate northern elites. I'd imagine you have equivalent shitkickin' good ol' boys over there, and guessing their music of choice is crap as well.

Leo

yeah, was being a bit facetious, "free bird" will live forever. i actually like "gimme three steps", truth be told.

Leo

there's actually some debate in the YT comments and on FB, some claiming he's taking the piss. seems unlikely but masterful if so.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
also on Lynyrd Skynyrd, you gotta distinguish between pre and post-plane crash. two completely different things.

pre-crash is one of the great American classic rock bands of the 70s.

the American Zep. plus they had a bit of Muscle Shoals vibe. plus Ronnie Van Zant was a dude.

(and just like Zep you'd never wanna listen to a whole LP straight thru, but you could make a killer mixtape of their best jams)

I mean come on

post-crash, well, it is what it is

padraig (u.s.)

I'd take them over the Allmans all day every day, too. Allmans are the secondary forefathers of jam bands and jam band culture, after the Dead.

having said that, tbf Duane Allman was a fucking absolute wizard.

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

the solo in Free Bird is on my all-time list with Maggot Brain, Marquee Moon, and the like

tho I know yall rave dads around here are mostly a bunch of guitar dude haters unless it's weird or funky, or both like Can or whatever, so ymmv

also separate note, Artimus Pyle is one of the greatest rock names ever

Status
Not open for further replies.