Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Freddie Gibbs - Practice (2019)

Absolutely gorgeous sample, I love u Madlib.

This, 'Crime Pays' and 'Situations' are all highlights from this album. Need to revisit Pinata.

And 'Fake Names', amazing beat switch.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
They’ve just played this on Kisstory as I’m prepping a Bolognese for later. I claim COTD for 17 July.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Friend of mine loves that song but she can't stand the fabulous version, with fab boorishly intruding on the sweet song and talking about his sweet schlong.

sadmanbarty

I mean clearly, clearly adam and eve were battybwoys, that's wy the fall was so traumatic. I don't think they were even called adam and Steve that's far too english centrist liberal anti-homophobe who deep down despises the gays in his heart. no they had grandiloquent names like Lydia and Augustus I'm sure of it. I mean, Lydia didn't even have a gender back in the day did it.

so i guess the fall will have to feature in this list, naturally.

this is lydia and augustus submerged in an aquatic dream. naked skin rendered silken by arctic blue waters. the rivers of eden. engulfed in mother nature's womb. agonised and tentative. a wistful vision of what they lost when they ate from the tree of knowledge.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Ossie - We Mad (2018)

Pretty straight-up house banger with a nice whistling synth hook to it and a sampled revolutionary speech in the breakdown.

version

A bunch of Patrice Rushen stuff was reissued recently: “Strut present the first definitive retrospective of an icon of 1970s and ‘80s soul, jazz and disco, Patrice Rushen, covering her peerless 6-year career with Elektra / Asylum from 1978 to 1984.

version

I hadn't heard this in years and it suddenly popped into my head earlier. My Dad had a couple of the Womble albums and I used to run around listening to them as a little kid. There's a tune on one of them about a giant made out of rubbish and pollution which I used to get scared of and hide behind the sofa.

sadmanbarty

when i was little we used to have family film night on fridays. there was no way my dad was going to watch kids films, so he'd just pop the the vhs rental down the road and get whatever he wanted. he likes horror films so that meant that i'd been bought up with a steady diet of slasher films since the age of 6 or 7 (something i could always boast about at school). none of the hyper violent films ever scared me, but strangely enough nicole kidman's ghosty period-drama 'the others' frightened me very literally to tears.

i suddenly remembered that film now listening to this. the piano sample looping in the way it does, sounds inhuman as though the piano was playing itself. there's a scene in the film where the piano does just that.

sadmanbarty

like wu tang forever, hell on earth is an album i really enjoy as a whole even if i can't point to many individual great tracks on it that are great. it works as mood music. muzak.

sadmanbarty

i tell myself i like cities and stabbing, but in my heart of heart i'm pattycakes. i like walking around bear foot. i like hammocks. i like sunshine. i like trees and the sea.

not so much drum circles and all that. more like a Mediterranean version of the steinbeck ideal. living off the land with some hippy bird with a massive bush.

this music speaks to that.

sadmanbarty

like wu tang forever, hell on earth is an album i really enjoy as a whole even if i can't point to many individual great tracks on it that are great. it works as mood music. muzak.

drill works in a similar way (especially when you first get into it). drill of course very much belonging to that wu tang/mobb deep minor key piano sound world.

Status
Not open for further replies.