Status
Not open for further replies.

droid

Love these guys. Wren day is still a big thing in certain parts of the country and there's multiple folk tunes about it, including a famous Manx version.

sadmanbarty

i can't think of another artist in the history of recorded music who carries more emotion in their voice than mavado. it exudes pathos. hauntingly tragic. the voice of anguish.

a very, very rare gift.

sadmanbarty

there was a boy in my class called simon paul, so invariably if we had a new teacher doing the register they'd make a paul simon joke.

one year all he got for his birthday was a tamagotchi (about £5) so i got this impression he was really poor. he exploited my sympathies and would come up to me every day and go "can you borrow me a pound?" and i'd oblige for a whole year until his next birthday he got loads and loads and loads of presents (i joked that i'd paid for them all).

there was a boy called mohammad who got wind of this too and he'd come up to me over-acting pleading me to also "borrow me a pound". i didn't buy into it. i later got the impression mohammad was closeted gay. he was obsessed with me (once outside french he ripped my shirt open with all the buttons coming off). we also used to do this thing of doing a gay voice and harassing this asian boy called jason ("jaaaassssoooooon") and mohamad would always take it t0o far, started dry humping me and all that.

simon paul was in the top class with me in year 7, 8 and 9. however he was sat next to me in english in year 9 and i was such a bad influence he went from being in the top class to being put in the 4th class for year 10 and 11.

i just remembered i once heiled a teacher and he laughed, and instead of me getting told off the teacher told him off for laughing. the same thing happened when i called a teacher a white devil and the girl who laughed at me got a bollocking instead of me.

i really am a slimey little shit.

sufi

lala
Hermitude cover Nirvana 'Heart-Shaped Box' for Like A Version Ft. Jaguar Jonze
Said Jaguar: “I got to jump on board as featured vocals with the talented duo Hermitude for their triple j Like A Version to cover…. *gulp* Nirvana’s Heart Shaped Box, which dropped fresh this morning. I was so flattered that they asked me to join them live on such an iconic song, but boy was I shaking hot in my boots. What an experience that I will treasure.”

sadmanbarty

i played this to a somewhat inebriated luke the other day and his voice jumped up about 4 octaves as he squealed "WHAT'S THIS?!".

he then proceeded to spend the rest of the evening touching me and fiddling with me and trying to get cuddles from me.

then at one point world famous music critic simon reynolds (completely unsolicited) just got out his pointer finger and plunged it into my belly. no asking. no explanation of what he was doing. i got fingered by simon reynolds and he didn't even tell me why.

at the end of the evening reynolds said to luke "not only are you a genius, but also a really nice bloke" before kissing both his cheeks like some kind of spaniard.

so this song is now associated with a profound sense of emotional trauma on my part.

luka

i played this to a somewhat inebriated luke the other day and his voice jumped up about 4 octaves as he squealed "WHAT'S THIS?!".

he then proceeded to spend the rest of the evening touching me and fiddling with me and trying to get cuddles from me.

then at one point world famous music critic simon reynolds (completely unsolicited) just got out his pointer finger and plunged it into my belly. no asking. no explanation of what he was doing. i got fingered by simon reynolds and he didn't even tell me why.

at the end of the evening reynolds said to luke "not only are you a genius, but also a really nice bloke" before kissing both his cheeks like some kind of spaniard.

so this song is now associated with a profound sense of emotional trauma on my part.

Don't remember this happening but all sounds like a great night to me.

sadmanbarty

1.55- Rygin King- Tuff

This is the most convincingly strange and alien this tropical strand of dancehall ever got.

7:51- Popcaan- Family

Where Pentacostal exaltation meets capitalism's high definition sheen. steely dan if they weren't nerds.

18:20- Mavado- Laugh and Gwan

Really pretty phrase that; “laugh and gwan”. Makes him sound like a squatty little sprite trickster eating mushrooms in quaint Danish folklore. Then you get “kill them off and gwan”; as I said before they’re agents of rapture. Murder is a joyous act, delivering the flock back to their creator.

22:29- Mavado- All Night

Night time driving in gta. When see all the night lights in the city of london and you do just marvel at capitalism’s nature-like beauty. twinkling sky scraper lights pretty like meadows and waterfalls. the retelling of the modern world as a yeats poem.

24:57- Popcaan- El Chapo

“Empty the mak 90 inna your face and gone”. I love the ludicrous overkill of that. emptying the whole clip just in their face. and again, the religious ecstasy of doing so.

26:53- Kartel- Highest Level

this song is a gift from the gods. you even hear all these ethereal fluttering kabuki angel vocals at 27:02 delivering it to the mortal plane.

29:21- Popcaan- My Type

when lust becomes surrender. so gracefully, passively tender.

48:33- Mavado- Dem a F*g

the scratchiness of his vocals is really potent. the flailing desperation inherent in aggression.

48:44- Kartel- Weh Dat Fah

"tell god say selasie are my emperor"

Status
Not open for further replies.