Status
Not open for further replies.

sufi

lala
Not familiar with Juice WRLD's music really, but it's shocking somebody dying so young. Particularly (not justifiably) when they're doing so well, clearly very talented, etc. All snuffed out in a seizure.
Yeah, not quite like Shaaban (who incidentally had faced accusations of anti-semitism in his time),
I'm sure I recounted my meeting with him ages ago
that video is pretty great

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Quite mad the revelations about Juice WRLD's death. The private jet pilot reported to the cops that his entourage had guns and weed, the feds were waiting at the airport to search the luggage, juice Wrld collapsed because he (maybe/presumably?) swallowed pills he didn't want them to find, or because he panicked...

sadmanbarty

the influence this had on young barty's drumming can't be overstated. it was the only thing 13 year old me would play on the drums for about 6 months.

it's the funnest style of drums to play.

sadmanbarty

this is one of those ones from the gods. a direct transmission from the engineers. waifer was only the delivery system.

yakub's laboratory. his dark mind filled with wicked thoughts as he creates the white man. an ancient technologically advanced race of black men soon to become enslaved by his diabolical invention.

sadmanbarty

there's a common drum language between footwork and grime that presumably both stem from timbaland.

that feminine "uh" that keeps going is really beautiful. trailing off with that vibrato. something very human in it. very sweet and warm. while the world goes all apeshit around it, you've still got that tether to humanity. holding her hand as reality dissolves all around you.

sadmanbarty

on the other hand it's this body horror steam punk machine that's got all human skin and organs integrated into this mechanical system. pipes going in to pump lungs. a human face stretched a meter-wide, ed gein like in a perpetual expression of horror as it tries to communicate on behalf of the machine. terry gilliam 80's film aesthetics.

sadmanbarty

i've never seen a terry gilliam film, but look what came up. i was bang on the money.

maxresdefault.jpg

it is incredible that you can have no direct contact with a bit of art but a lot of the time know exactly what it is. these aesthetic archetypes announce themselves so fully through such a small amount of information.

sadmanbarty

i think jamaica's had tough couple of years, a spike in violent crime, a state of emergency and all that. by and large the music has tried to medicate against that; it's all gone very lilt and tropical; that shimmering pentacostalism stuff.

but every now and then these tracks will come out that completely tap into this sense of national mourning. these really emotionally desolate bits of music. they do have these camp emotional signifiers of "bleakness", but they do actually resonate beyond (in spite) of those things. genuine tragedy expressed in the music. genuine despair. mum finding out her kid's not coming back. this collective outpouring of grief. a hint of desperation but ultimately resigned. same sound world as drill, which is telling.

sadmanbarty

jazz before 1963 or so is a tricky on for me; too much a relic of the past. too hokey. the main riff on moanin is undeniable, though undeniable in a quaint, ha ha it's the 50's kind of way.

Status
Not open for further replies.