baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Suggestion is that the EU might say the choice is between this deal and no deal, given how the UK has pissed them off so much and for so long

luka

I tend to adopt the assume the worst and you might get a nice surprise strategy. The English way.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well it still has to get through parliament - and with no referendum amendment - you would think that should be impossible seeing as it's not much different from the one that was laughed out of thr house three times... but who knows? They need DUP, ERG, Tories whi have lost the whip and some of Labour to support it. The first two should be ideologically opposed and common sense should prevent the others... but coulda woulda shoulda... I dunno.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I thought that the big difference from May's deal was that the fallback situation is a customs border in the Irish Sea rather than the UK in the Customs Union, which is good news for the ERG headbangers because we won't be prevented from forging brilliant new trade deals all over the world, ie slashing workers rights and selling out the NHS to the Americans.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
DUP aren't having it. How will it get through Parliament?
If this fails - fingers crossed - it could be curtains for Brexit I think.

Hmm. Could still go either way, I think. Obviously the green-yellow alliance will vote against, as will most of Labour, I expect - then it depends on how many Tories are either anti-Brexit and want to stop it entirely, even if it means risking a no-deal scenario, or so mental they actually want to leave without a deal because BJ's deal isn't "hard" enough for them.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's also something that Johnson swore blind no UK pm would ever do...
Any Labour mp who votes for this would have to be crazy as it guarantees a Tory win in the election if it gets through - on top of everything else.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
UK can still unilaterally revoke Article 50, as far as I'm aware, no?

Proclamations have been made and subsequently withdrawn so often, that this just looks like a blunt attempt by Juncker to force the deal. But if Parliament rejects it, then ...?

IdleRich

IdleRich
But UK is a long way from revoking I think.
Anyway, the Guardian are rowing back from what they just said a bit now. Seems that it's an off the cuff remark rather than official policy. Also

Not surprising that Jean-Claude Juncker wants to quash talk of an extension. EU dearly wants Brexit over and done with.
In reality, if UK asked for delay, under Benn Act, hard to see that the EU would say no.
Hope that's true.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Me too.

I agree that UK is a long way away from revoking atm, but this kind of talk from the EU could rapidly make things even more polarising, pushing more people towards backing a referendum if the deal is rejected on Saturday (?)

IdleRich

IdleRich
But suppose it goes like this which seems plausible.
Saturday vote on deal - deal is defeated
Johnson writes to the EU asking for an extension as Benn Act demands.
EU reject request.
So UK is going out with no deal in ten days or so... there is no way to do a referendum in that time. Is straight revoke even possible?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I can't blame the EU for being a) sick and tired of the UK and b) keen to pressure parliament to let this pass now they've got Johnson to bend over and take it more than May ever did.