IdleRich

IdleRich
Boris Johnson thanks everyone for giving up their time but says “alas”, the opportunity to have a meaningful vote has been passed up.

He says he is not dismayed by the result.

He continues in the strong belief that the best thing for the UK and the EU is to leave on 31 October.

I will not negotiate a delay with the EU and neither does the law compel me to do so.
But it does doesn't it?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah it's another amazing thing when I thought things had stopped amazing me.
Someone actually said in parliament today "What ARE we doing?" meaning how can they possibly consider passing such a thing in three days. And he's right of course. It's obviously fucking nuts but we're so deep in this new reality that we don't even see it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I mean the idea that in three days they can agree this 110 page document (plus explanatory pages) which fundamentally changes our relationship with the EU and has huge consequences for the Union and everyone in it is so ludicrous that in a sane world it wouldn't be debated, it would just be laughed out of parliament. And that should be the position of Leavers and Remainers. Surely anyone who hasn't staked their political life to leaving on 31st Oct can see that.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Fuck all. He's waiting for the EU to approve the extension I think.

What I find weird is how the earlier threat of a GE has come to nothing. The Pg M can just straight out lie and threaten his MPs and nothing comes of it. This is the new normal now?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Corbyn will back the GE as soon as the EU's extension comes through though, won't he?Looking at the opinion polls, as debased as their authority might be, this seems mad/suicidal. Starmer's option of going for a 2nd referendum before an election, so as to be able to talk about other issues in the election campaign than Brexit (as if) has its merits, but I don't see that there are the numbers in the Commons for it so long as Johnson's deal is 'on the table'.

From what I read, the new deal has only got 15 pages that are changed compared to Theresa May's, out of a total of several hundred. But in post-truth times, that detail is an utter irrelevance.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Guardian comments:

"This maybe crazy idea but what are the reasons why it would not be possible to hold a General Election and a Referendum on the same day"

DannyL

Wild Horses
Corbyn will back the GE as soon as the EU's extension comes through though, won't he?Looking at the opinion polls, as debased as their authority might be, this seems mad/suicidal.

There seems to be some sort of "war in Heaven" going on with a lot of Corbyn's office being replaced and McDonnell apparently pulling the strings. I *think* that this means Labour will start to act a bit more pragmatically for now on, if he's got the upper hand. An election would be pretty crazy on current polling for sure.

DannyL

Wild Horses
This is a good analysis, electoral not EU-related:

Most of the downside risk in a GE is on the Con side. Consider:
Returning reluctant Labour
Tactical voting
LD and SNP advance
Issue salience and...
Popular Lab policies
Brexit 'betrayal'

Con appeal is already priced in:
Every man, woman and their dog loathes Jezza

IdleRich

IdleRich
Gotta admit that I rather like the present set up with a minority government who can't do anything. I think that as a rule things are better when the government isn't "making thing better" by passing loads of laws. Though obviously in this case it gives some insight into the damage the Tories would be doing if they had a majority. If we needed that.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Gotta admit that I rather like the present set up with a minority government who can't do anything. I think that as a rule things are better when the government isn't "making thing better" by passing loads of laws. Though obviously in this case it gives some insight into the damage the Tories would be doing if they had a majority. If we needed that.

Add in the persistent humilation of Johnson to the current setting and it's pretty good isn't it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
His legions of fans are so thoroughly detached from reality now that they think he's won some great victory by crossing the fingers on one hand behind his back while dictating the letter. Or something like that. Even though the legal reality is that he's done the one precise thing that he said he wouldn't do and in fact staked his claim to the office of PM on.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Seems to me he's done the worst of all possible worlds in that he has sent a letter that the EU are reading as a request for an extension and look likely to grant, AND he's done it in a way that seems to be an attempt to "frustrate" the law so he's arguably in contempt of court.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
I can't believe people aren't more annoyed with BJ writing the letter that he swore blind he wouldn't write.
Actually, I've looked on Twitter and a lot of people are tying themselves in knots trying to somehow claim that Johnson didn't write the letter or didn't send it or it didn't really ask for an extension. They would rather tell themselves that black is white than admit that their hero has lied to them.