other_life

bioconfused
Case in point:
Heard this for the first time the other day. Lots of wild performances and freestyles to be found on this and other similar YouTube rap channels.

This popped up in the relateds of that tune hint posted in the 90s thread and stuck out to me for sounding halfway between then and now.

these are both great but still can't see them as avenues to like, related new music. my ability to calibrate 'what i like about new rap' and ability to talk intelligently about it feels totally busted. subreddits for local rap scenes ie DMV, Michigan, London are all fight videos and crash-out voyeurism 😵‍💫

other_life

bioconfused
no i mean that as a personal failing of. curiosity/willingness to 'live with' what is to me anonymous new music to a) develop a context for it b) be able to decide which ~belongs in my personal canon~
luka slated the list noz did for last year/his lists for the last decade but that kind of criticism feels more helpful to me than "Here is this one tune"

other_life

bioconfused
'"lick" is barely a song - two minutes, no hook, just a thirty six bar numbed/nonchalant/sardonic mission statement, rushed in delivery but with every word in its right place.'
^ have a problem with this becoming a generalised format in our era. it's why i liked young thug a lot less after 2016 save for super slimey. 'not songs but orphans'

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
i think tiktok/streaming etc has taken away the incentive for releasing full songs, loads of the new york drill tunes are about 2 minutes long tops

catering to shorter attention spans and ensuring more streams

DannyL

Wild Horses
these are both great but still can't see them as avenues to like, related new music. my ability to calibrate 'what i like about new rap' and ability to talk intelligently about it feels totally busted. subreddits for local rap scenes ie DMV, Michigan, London are all fight videos and crash-out voyeurism 😵‍💫
Yeah. A side effect of distribution patterns changing is the discourse around it changes also. Where do you go for intelligent chat about new rap? Not sure if I know now.

DannyL

Wild Horses

BTW anyone listen to Stove God Cooks? His album is great, though maybe the most concentrated mediation on cocaine I've ever heard. He has a really musical style, tons of sung hooks.