IdleRich

IdleRich
so no notables or non-maybes then? there's steven soderbergh i spose? but the tide runs almost always the other way, one minute you're making a wicked gore film on a shoestring, next you're doing Lord of the Rings. just saying, not saying those examples don't count. robbe-grillet definitely doesn't count though. i mean who has genuinely made millions in hollywood and spent it on doing interesting films that will make no money
But definitely the Lord of the Rings guy is a perfect example of someone who was seduced away from his cult background and, as far as I can tell, never retreated from the megabucks bland world he'd entered.

woops

is not like other people
i discount robbe-grillet cos he didn't operate in the hollywood system but made his name in that distinctively french avant-garde scene so it's no surprise that when he came to make films they were experimental and weird. he made hismoney in a government department that exported bananas i believe

luka

You'd think you would once you made a few mill but maybe it's almost impossible to do interesting things once you're rich and successful your brain probably shrivels up

woops

is not like other people
fair enough i think it's encouraging that there are some decent examples. @luka most interesting films are shit?! so are marvel films

version

But definitely the Lord of the Rings guy is a perfect example of someone who was seduced away from his cult background and, as far as I can tell, never retreated from the megabucks bland world he'd entered.
Lynch retreated after Dune. Paul Schrader went back underground to a degree too.

luka

So he probably didn't have anyone begging him to take on any more big projects in any case

version

Yeah but he attaches his name to a load of weird stuff and helps it get made.
You've read Easy Riders, Raging Bulls right? Warren Beatty and Jack Nicholson are the classics of this type or were at one time.
Brad Pitt's another who does that.

woops

is not like other people
So he probably didn't have anyone begging him to take on any more big projects in any case
or giving him any money which is why he makes tv programs now and mulholland drive is a long tv programme.

IdleRich

IdleRich
theres always space for interesting underground pursuits though. the question is whether any of these directors have leveraged their hedge in major studios to get interesting projects produced in the same space as marvel movies.
I suppose the debate is.... I said Marvel films suck up resources and talent that might have been used to make films that (and this is the main criteria) I would rather see. Luka said "Ah, but maybe some of that talent uses some of the resources that they gain to make those films".
But to me the point is not "Does that ever happen?" but more - "Is there a net gain or loss due to the Marvel domination?" - and my gut feeling, which obviously is little more than that, is that overall something being so dominion tends to stifle creativity and diversity (in the old-fashioned sense) and is ultimately, overall, a bad thing. Although I admit it's not as clear cut as one might first think.

luka

Have you seen any films that are both 'interesting' and good that have been made in the last ten years? Anyone?