Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: lagers in greenwich right now

They're all from this thread:

https://twitter.com/London_W4/status...08941385392128

There are some mental ones of Doha and Dubai in there too.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    London in the Craner era.
    It makes me very nostalgic. I love Greenwich. My mother had a friend who lived in Gloucester Circus, so it was the second place in London I ever visited.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    It's weird, I always had the idea that most of big towers dated from the late 80s or 90s, but 1 Canada Square is the only big one you can see here.

I worked around this area between 09 and 11. Most of the big ones were up by then, I think. New ones under construction all the time, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

One Canada Sq went up in 1991 and was on its own for years. The HSBC and Citigroup towers were still being constructed when I moved to London in 2000, glistening vertical building sites that shimmered on the horizon.

Love those pics. It's disorienting how cities change. A friend lived in Canada Water in 99ish, and afair, 'canary wharf' was still mainly used to refer to the tower, not the district. Total difference from 6/7 years later when I used to go there for work. Opening of the jubiele line changed everything, says here that was 99 too

Greenwich was the only part of London I knew as a kid, and I don't think I've been back since.

Love those pics. It's disorienting how cities change. A friend lived in Canada Water in 99ish, and it felt like a weirdly cut-off area; afair, 'canary wharf' was still mainly used to refer to the tower, not the district. Total difference from 6/7 years later when I used to go there for work.

Greenwich was the only part of London I knew as a kid, and I don't think I've been back since.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 24-12-2019 at 03:45 PM.

Greenwich the centre of time. Always blows my mind.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IdleRich For This Useful Post:

I first came to London in 1999 but as a student at UCL I had little reason ever to go near Greenwich or the Isle of Dogs, until a decade later when I was working as a junior sub-wonk in the civil service down at Crossharbour. One of my abiding memories of the place is from about this time of year, 2009 or 2010, when I walked up to the shopping precinct beneath Canada Square and noticed that not all of the baubles on the big Christmas tree were actually baubles. Some were discs of card with a printed text on them!

I crept closer, eager to learn what message of seasonal goodwill was being passively broadcast to the thronging shoppers.

It was "This area is under 24 hour CCTV surveillance".
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post: