Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The death of Philip Roth, the end of an era?

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Pynchon, DeLillo, McCarthy, Morrison and a few others are still knocking about
    Toni Morrison's dead now too.

I read Wallace's unfinished final novel The Pale King0
    It sounds ludicrous but I'm more and more convinced that DFW is a shit writer who fluked one masterpiece. Rather than a good writer who wrote some bad stuff, or even a blowing hot and cold writer. Pretty much everything I've read apart from IJ is properly bad.

Cormac McCarthy is an interesting one. Love him or loathe him, he has changed his style. Probably realised that he was stuck in a literary dead-end and decided to re-invent himself after perusing dissensus and seeing comments like this one

It also gets to the point where you basically have to be a lit. student to pick up on all the references and allusions. To get ... you have to have read ..., ... and ... . I think writers perhaps became too clever for their own good

I think Wallace identified problems worth thinking about and could be insightful and funny at times, but I don't really like him.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    It sounds ludicrous but I'm more and more convinced that DFW is a shit writer who fluked one masterpiece. Rather than a good writer who wrote some bad stuff, or even a blowing hot and cold writer. Pretty much everything I've read apart from IJ is properly bad.
    Have you reread IJ?

No... doubt I will either. I almost always to read something new than re-tread old ground.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post: