The death of Philip Roth, the end of an era?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
He's cancelled isn't he. As he was many times in life. He certainly had a weird (or all too typical?) attitude to women.

I recently read "Sabbath's Theatre", which is first shocking then tedious about sex, which mirrors the monomaniacal mindset of the protagonist, but which is also in parts really funny, and tender, and is so grippingly written throughout.

I reread the beginning of "Portnoy" again too. It's so funny and what struck me more than the obscenity which I'd read it for the first time (which is still very funny, e.g. Portnoy bearing down on an apple core as he imagines it begging "big boy" for more) was the Voice. It's hysterical in both senses. I'm not sure if I could read the whole thing again, mind you.

What Roth is really good at is summoning a sense of righteous indignation towards moralists. Which sometimes becomes bitterness of the old man on lawn variety.

version

it's just retrograde and embaressing. roth is the girly calender on the wall of a tyre fitters in 1989. made sense at the time but best forgotten now.
Was speaking with someone last night who commented on how Roth and Mailer have both more or less plummeted out of view. They mentioned Vidal too.

Leo

mailer certainly would have been cancelled by today's standards. I think they all still have merit, in context of what they did at the time.

version

mailer certainly would have been cancelled by today's standards. I think they all still have merit, in context of what they did at the time.
I'll probably read more Mailer - only read The Fight - but he would absolutely deserve to be cancelled. Every negative stereotype about white guy authors applies to him.