CULT MUSIC

droid

How did Keenan miss this? Its the ultimate crazy Christian record, Joe Meek meets Firehouse:

martin

----
On a Christian tip, have to give it up to the Rev A.W Nix and Rev J.M Gates for seasonal classics "Death May Be Your Xmas Gift" and "Will The Coffin Be Your Santa Claus?"

blissblogger

da do L. Ron yeah da do L. Ron

Members of The Incredible String Band became Scientologists, didn't they? I don't know if that affected their music - I haven't followed their stuff into the 1970s.

Beck is one as well, isn't he?

It's always depressing when you find an actor or actress you like is a member - like Elizabeth Moss

luka

its a cable television thing isnt it? the obsession with cults and serial killers and nazis

DannyL

Wild Horses
This thread needs Elizabeth Clare Prophet:

This shit is super dark and insanely paranoid. A friend has it on LP and says he won't listen to it often as it's psychically haunted.

craner

Beast of Burden
Last December I was impressed with the Freeview digital TV channel Yesterday which bucked the trend of Christmas Day viewing by exclusively pumping out programmes about the Nazis.

The Nazis being a World Historical cult on a supersize State Apparatus.

craner

Beast of Burden

This is ridiculous music but to be fair it gets good 6 minutes in, fantastic bass line and guitar.

Last edited:

droid

its a cable television thing isnt it? the obsession with cults and serial killers and nazis

It is weird that cable TV obsesses over these topics. I think that's mainly a puerile, tabloid thing - titillating, distracting, voyueristic fantasies of transgression & control.

droid

Members of The Incredible String Band became Scientologists, didn't they? I don't know if that affected their music - I haven't followed their stuff into the 1970s.

Beck is one as well, isn't he?

It's always depressing when you find an actor or actress you like is a member - like Elizabeth Moss

Youre at Scientology ground zero - is there much visible presence in LA? They want to build a European megachurch here.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
Forgot about this guy:

Never got round to finding out too much about him but was filed under Jug Band and also Psychedelic Fascism.

In 1966, Lyman founded and headed The Lyman Family, also known as The Fort Hill Community, centered in a few houses in the Fort Hill section of Roxbury, then a poor neighborhood of Boston. The Fort Hill Community, to observers in the mid-to-late Sixties, combined some of the outward forms of an urban hippie commune with a neo-transcendentalist[10] socio-spiritual structure centered on Lyman, the friends he had attracted and the large body of his music and writings.

Lyman.jpg

I think he was in Apocalypse Culture or something? I had this bit of his writing on my toilet door when I was a student:

I am going to reduce everything that stands to rubble
and then I am going to burn the rubble
and then I am going to scatter the ashes
and then maybe SOMEONE will be able to see SOMETHING as it really is

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
that version of "people get ready" is really really cool.

there seems to be a huge online archive Lyman stuff here: https://www.trussel.com/f_mel.htm

Including a load of bits of his underground newspaper Avatar:
https://www.trussel.com/lyman/avatar/avatar.htm

This is quite neat as 30 years ago you had to send away huge amounts of cash to PO Boxes in the US to see poor photocopies of this stuff. (Which I think is how I got hold of some Process Church stuff eventually).

av23aa.jpg