IdleRich

IdleRich
When I went to the movie theatre the other day you couldnt order food at the concession stands. There were people behind the counter as usual, but when you went up to place an order they said you had to go to an electronic kiosk. And these are movie concessions, its all already made, most of it is candy in a box I just need someone to hand it to me, but whatever. I go to the electronic kiosk and you have to sign in---to get pop corn and candy you have to sign in. I didnt have an account so I logged in as a guest. I take my receipt over to the stand but the machine malfunctioned I guess so they tell me i have to go hunt down some manager so he can reprint the right receipt. I then do that and take the correct receipt over to the concession stand. But the thing is the receipt is just my order printed out, its not like they get electronic orders in on a screen and assemble your stuff before you get there, they just read whats on the paper you yourself give them and then they go get it, as if you had just walked up and told them your order in the first place.

The whole ordeal took ten minutes. I got a popcorn and an I-cee, whicwash I poured myself

This is exactly what it was like in Edinburgh. We were staying at this girl's house cos Liza was dj-ing and this girl arranged for everyone involved - ie seven DJs and their, ahem, entourages to meet at this bar round the corner from the club. You couldn't order at the bar even though their were staff there just waving people away telling them to use the qr code.

Liza had been travelling all night, no sleep, and she was to play at 0330 so a long night ahead, she wanted coffee but they didn't sell it here so I went out to find some. I came back ten minutes later and, cos the WiFi was so slow, noone had managed to get a drink in that time. Then one guy got his order but it was wrong, but the bar staff at first refused to accept that the system could have made a mistake - until he showed them the order on his phone which was totally different... and even then they said "What you complaining about, you got more".

It was a complete nightmare, like something they would make up for TV to take the piss out of this kind of system. But it was real... loads of thirsty people unable to buy drinks and bar staff right there refusing to do anything. Fuck me. How can this be an improvement? It was just insane.

In fact in Aberdeen we went to a coffee shop where you had to order by a machine rather than via the staff who were thrre... but at least it worked.

ghost

they have systems like this in san francisco too except they're VC funded at great expense and so they actually work, or at least they do now. I imagine they'll stop working in a few years. i think there's a great joy in going to a restaurant that turns tables quickly, keeps you on your toes, there's a ramen place I go to where you sit down and order on your phone and then they have your food at your table in five minutes. since you paid up front you can just leave when you're ready.

whole ritual of chasing someone down to give you a check is the worst part of dining in the US, absolutely uncivilized, absolutely hate it. The way it works here is, you flag down a waiter, ask for the check. five minutes later, they give you the check. you put your card into the little envelope. five minutes later, they take your card. they run it there, and then five minutes later they give you the receipt, which you have to sign and tip on. by this point your legs are cramping because you've been in the same place for so long.

Reactions: sus

sus

whole ritual of chasing someone down to give you a check is the worst part of dining in the US, absolutely uncivilized, absolutely hate it. The way it works here is, you flag down a waiter, ask for the check. five minutes later, they give you the check. you put your card into the little envelope. five minutes later, they take your card. they run it there, and then five minutes later they give you the receipt, which you have to sign and tip on. by this point your legs are cramping because you've been in the same place for so long.
It's really really insane

sus

But that's everything, legacy systems slowly adapting one part at a time, pretty soon they don't make any sense. And the new systems don't work either! If only we could get rid of systems!

IdleRich

IdleRich
they have systems like this in san francisco too except they're VC funded at great expense and so they actually work, or at least they do now. I imagine they'll stop working in a few years. i think there's a great joy in going to a restaurant that turns tables quickly, keeps you on your toes, there's a ramen place I go to where you sit down and order on your phone and then they have your food at your table in five minutes. since you paid up front you can just leave when you're ready.

Apologies for the stereotyping but I totally assumed this was a US thing. And yeah I'm sure it's fine when it work, plus if it doesn't or you just don't like it you can vote with your feet, go elsewhere... but frustrating in Edinburgh cos of course we had to go where this girl chose and remain there.

The latter issue is a separate one. In a pub in UK you pay at the bar when you get your drinks and leave whenever you like. In Europe a lot of bars tot up your drinks for a bill at the end. They would probably argue it's a slower more sophisticated way of drinking but like you I tend to chafe at the wait. Again, if it matters that much you can find one that suits you I guess.

ghost

US bars are excellent at this—most will ask if you each time if you want to close out or keep a tab. If you're keeping a tab, they sometimes pre-auth your card but usually they'll keep it in the back. I'm a big fan of this system—you only pay once, but you can opt for it to happen after any drink, which means if you're on a date you can say, "let's head out, I've already closed us out," and be outside without any fuss. In fact, you can even say that if you haven't closed out—you'll just have to come back to pick your card up the next day.

ghost

The truth is, payment systems are my one true love. Truly adore them, absolutely the most important part of any civilization.

version

"The individual of the scientific age is losing his capacity to experience himself as a centre of energy,"

-- Paul Valéry

version

As online worlds increasingly infuse or supplant analog realities... While climate change threatens to collapse global ecosystems and unravel the fabric of civilization, we paper desktops with uncannily-idyllic Caribbean beaches and rolling mountain ranges... I hope to subvert digital escape by injecting anthropogenic detritus into online spaces...

luka

i felt old today for the first time, not mentally or physically, but just in the sense of belonging to a different world when i got a coke in a pub and the whole transaction, the old register, the coins, the noises, i realised this is vintage impossibly in the past

luka

the processing is so much more compact we real;ly get a better sense of ourselves now as com,pletely repla eable machine parts more or less the same as any other at the same point ogf manuc+fature

luka

id been at work and i took what i thought was a mild does of lsd but it turned out to be a dose at which my sanity was at stake and the last time i felt the odds were that high, i lost, at great personal cost, and this time it went better and i climbed the momument which was incredibly foolhardy and i cant tell you how strongly i cousel agsainst it becasue commit you have to commit

luka

anyway whatever but ive done it but then after ive been mega aware of myself, even when ive been doing it aware of myself as a person of interest

luka

i know theres levels of commnunivation that i pruposefully stay ignorant of. but not makiung the knowing lookds and tacit understandings

luka

im just noticing this down now incoherently so i can remember what to enlarge upon lster