yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
did anyone ever read something by esther leslie? i think some of the ideas put forward in this thread (or in "the surface" thread) are also discussed in her book "liquid crystals: the science and art of a fluid form". gonna find myself a copy and report back.

While it is responsible for today s abundance of flat screens on televisions, computers, and mobile devices most of us have only heard of it in the ubiquitous acronym, LCD, with little thought as to exactly what it is: liquid crystal. In this book, Esther Leslie enlightens us, offering an accessible and fascinating look at not a substance, not a technology but a wholly different phase of matter. As she explains, liquid crystal is a curious material phase that organizes a substance s molecules in a crystalline form yet allows them to move fluidly like water. Observed since the nineteenth century, this phase has been a deep curiosity to science and, in more recent times, the key to a new era of media technology. In between that time, as Leslie shows, it has figured in cultural forms from Romantic landscape painting to snow globes, from mountaineering to eco-disasters, and from touchscreen devices to DNA. Expertly written but accessible, Liquid Crystals recounts the unheralded but hugely significant emergence of this unique form of matter. "

‘There is every chance that you will be reading Liquid Crystals on a liquid crystal display screen, if not in the year of its release, then somewhere in the future. The ubiquity of LCDs makes them invisible, unthought. Leslie drags us back to the screen, to the discovery of this uncomfortably contradictory state of matter, and to the vast range of implications it has for the way we imagine the materiality and abstraction of our world, from financial liquidity to Superman’s icy Fortress of Solitude. She raises the tantalising prospect that liquid crystals are key not only to images but to perception and to our worldview: the governing metaphor through which we comprehend the rival claims of dialectics and flow. Erudite, lucid, enthralling, Esther Leslie's eclectically logical investigations transform our understanding of the historical generation of ideas and ways of thinking.’ -- Sean Cubitt, Professor of Film and Television, Goldsmiths, University of London
https://www.militantesthetix.co.uk/liquidcrystal/liquidcrystalbook.html

version

I stumbled across an interview with her on the Verso site recently and have been keeping an eye out for a cheap copy of Synthetic Worlds.

For a Marxist Poetics of Science: An Interview with Esther Leslie - https://www.versobooks.com/blogs/35...cs-of-science-an-interview-with-esther-leslie

In this career-spanning interview with George Souvlis, Esther Leslie discusses Walter Benjamin, animated film, the history of color, the Historical Materialism project, and the commemoration of the revolutionary past.

Synthetic Worlds: Nature, Art and the Chemical Industry

This revealing study considers the remarkable alliance between chemistry and art from the late eighteenth century to the period immediately following the Second World War. Synthetic Worlds offers fascinating new insights into the place of the material object and the significance of the natural, the organic, and the inorganic in Western aesthetics.

Esther Leslie considers how radical innovations in chemistry confounded earlier alchemical and Romantic philosophies of science and nature while profoundly influencing the theories that developed in their wake. She also explores how advances in chemical engineering provided visual artists with new colors, surfaces, coatings, and textures, thus dramatically recasting the way painters approached their work. Ranging from Goethe to Hegel, Blake to the Bauhaus, Synthetic Worlds ultimately considers the astonishing affinities between chemistry and aesthetics more generally. As in science, progress in the arts is always assured, because the impulse to discover is as immutable and timeless as the drive to create.

"It was an effort to rewrite Pynchon’s Gravity’s Rainbow, drawing out how the intuitions of deranged poetics can be found in documentary actuality, indeed outbid in many regards."

firefinga

There is even Dematerialisation within dematerialisation:

I am referring to websites being optimized for smartphone-use. Usually that means a lot less information than the former version of said websites for PC-use (has to be, due to the smaller screens of phones/tablets - you simply need bigger fonts to keep it readable). Also, they usually get their archives axed.

version

I'd never actually seen the sleeve art for Clear until now, but this is it. This is dematerialisation. It's fucking perfect. All the things I've been waffling on about for weeks re: falling through the mirror and fragmenting on the other side, smartphones etc.

11502361_800_800.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe this should go in the psychedelics thread, but a review of Alien Information Theory: Psychedelic Drug Technologies and the Cosmic Game by Andrew R Gallimore appeared in my timeline. The book explores the mechanism and endpoint of dematerialisation.

http://psypressuk.com/2019/06/13/alien-information-theory-gallimore/

Here is the Gallimorean cosmology in a paragraph: At the fundamental base level of reality lies pure Information, the Code that processes that information, and the Other: an alien hyperintelligence that created the Code.

The Code generates the physical three-dimensional reality that we humans perceive, which is called the Grid—which is actually a cross section of the HyperGrid: an overarching reality of more than three spatial dimensions (Hyperspace).

Physical brains, like all physical objects, emerge from the Code, and consciousnesses emerge from brains. By the intake of the common and potent psychedelic chemical dimethyltryptamine (DMT), our brains are transformed so as to be able to allow access to hyperspatial realities and the beings that reside therein (as foetuses we also had such access).

The meaning of life is to discover all of this so as to be able to play the Cosmic Game: ‘to realise the nature of our imprisonment in the Grid and to find our way out’ (p. 202). To win the Game, one’s consciousness must become permanently transcribed to the HyperGrid so that one becomes a hyperdimensional entity oneself, welcoming newbie players popping temporarily into the hyperdimensional realm. In other words, the meaning of life is to die and pass over into a hyperreality becoming an alien, angel, devil, elf, pixie or the like.​

Reviewer does not agree with much of this - particularly how this cosmology reduces everything to information, which is essentially definitions, which are not necessarily noumenal. The map is not the territory, etc. But the model of code-grid-hypergrid-other is well expressed.

A good read though, both the review and presumably the book.

Last edited:

version

One of my mates and his gf at the time got stuck in a giant grid on a trip. They rang me in a state of panic and were babbling about this labyrinth-like grid that seemed to stretch on for miles and miles and which they couldn't find their way out of. Apparently what they eventually realised was they were walking across a playing field, the full moon was up and the light coming through the chain link fence of a tennis court cast a huge shadow of a grid across the field.

catalog

Which music sounds like twitter? Vine?

Rapid fire small fragments of disparate information. cognitive strobe lighting. Footwork, ad-lib centric rap, skrillex, the resurgence of todd edwards’ cut up technique in edm and pop music

Which music sounds like the blue-white light of a computer screen glowing in a dark bedroom?

Is apathy a trait of the digital age? If so what music sounds like apathy?

uk drill, pbrnb, large swathes of 2010’s rap have been dominated by ambience and apathy

Which music is devoid of texture? No grit? No friction?

there’s not much in the way of texture in the digital age. no grit. smooth swiping of the phone screen.

Music which blurs the line between human and machine?

alkaline...

Music in which human’s mimic machines?

chris dave…

What phenomna is unique to, or amplified by, the digital age? Which music reflects those specific things?

I'm reading this thread from the beginning. Just thought I'd throw in, having read this bit...

I got to the end and then rolled my fingers over the underlined bits, wondering if they might be hyperlinks.

This reminded me of something ive been doing at work last week. I had to update some sections of a notice on a website. The correction that had been sent to me featured an underlined word, where the underline had been used for emphasis. So slightly different to here, where they've been used for headings.

I'm very new to HTML and CSS, all that stuff, but I assumed I would be able to use the tag for underlining. But I thought I better check and in html5, you can't do that. It works, but you're not supposed to do it. You can only use underlining in that way if you are pointing out a spelling mistake or when writing certain Chinese words that have underlines as part of them.

So you are advised to use a different tag for emphasis, eg bolding, which is what I went with. Just thought it was interesting. Like, because of hyperlinks, something fairly stable for a while in the world of text/writing, has now changed.

Last edited:

catalog

Technology promises a dream and delivers a nightmare. McLuhan had it right when he said "... when the full consequences of each new technology have been manifested in new psychic and social forms, then the anti-Utopias appear".

Lovecraft's thing about the terror of scientific progress feels quite apt too:

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age. “

Has anyone read the simon sellars book 'applied ballardianism'? Similar idea in that, i think he credits it to virilio, who i've not read, but it's the idea that when you invent the car, you also invent the car-crash and so on.

luka

I k ow a couple of people who tried and they both said its so amateurish, half arsed, badly written that they barely got halfway

catalog

nah, it's really good, i really enjoyed it. i mean, i dunno about it being amateurish or anything, i don't know if i can tell that. i thought it was pretty well written, in that i liked reading it. i've now got to blissbloggers post in the thread where he says exactly the same thing about car and car crash (without the reference to the sellars book)!!

luka

Fair enough. I've only heard bad things about it. I'd give it a chance if it fell into my hands

catalog

i had a period of finding almost all music too painful. only lasted a few months but i think back on it now and then. i know ive mentioned it before. could only listen to those 2 late talk talk albums pretty much. everything else felt so intrusive and overbearing.

i've had a similar thing to this for a while, of literally not enjoying listening to music much, when it's something i've done all my life. i still listen to stuff, and go out and listen to music, but somethingh is not quite the same. and i can't listen to old stuff that i used to really like either. it's weird. i hoped it would pass but it's definitely been a few months, on and off.

luka

Ah yeah, might be worth it? Could read enough to decide if it's worth buying st least