How to sound like a nonce in art galleries

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think it's been a gay club for years and years... probably since the nineties, although that particular night wasn't a gay night (unless it was and I was just very unobservant).

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I think it's been a gay club for years and years... probably since the nineties, although that particular night wasn't a gay night (unless it was and I was just very unobservant).

Was always gay, since late 70s, very brief period around acid house/balearic where some str8 people found a venue where it was cool to do drugs, and subsequent nights and always did occasional gigs.

Mellsman

In a strange echo I spent a night in Heaven in 1991.
The Ragga Twins playing live at Rage.
I was in a white minority and had - foolishly it turned out - taken a microd*t.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Mate, mate, mate, mate, mate
I'm pretty sure you didn't mean nonce in the original post.
Allegedly it's an abbreviation of "Not on normal communal exercise" in prisons... ie people who have to be separated from the rest of the inmates cos they are sex criminals or child killers or whatever. I'm not sure if that origin is really correct but that is definitely the standard meaning.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm pretty sure you didn't mean nonce in the original post.
Allegedly it's an abbreviation of "Not on normal communal exercise" in prisons... ie people who have to be separated from the rest of the inmates cos they are sex criminals or child killers or whatever. I'm not sure if that origin is really correct but that is definitely the standard meaning.

Nah, that's a backronym. It's just a very old insult meaning a nothing, a nobody, a worthless person.

You know the rather archaic phrase "for the nonce", meaning "for now" or "for the time being"? I properly cracked up when Humbert Humbert says "Let me be sentimental for the nonce..." in Lolita.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It may well be a backward thingy, I'm always suspicious of those... on the other hand I'm pretty sure it doesn't derive from any of the old usages of nonce either (although I too laugh every time I hear it in that sort of context). The only thing is that they do say "nonce wing" don't they and the word tends to be used to describe various types of untouchable people - sex offenders and child killers which I wouldn't instinctively group together except in prison so I wondered if the origins might lie there. I've thought about this enough now.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh yeah, I wasn't saying nonce as in paedo had anything to do with nonce meaning "for now" - just that it was funny seeing it used in the latter sense in that particular book.