pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
years ago at an afterparty there was a dude who had this crazy record collection full of rare obscure acid, breaks and trance that somehow wasn't bad. there were a couple of 12s he had that blew me away but i was too busy caught up in the moment to note down what they were. the only thing i remember was it sounded like some kind of late 80s/early 90s blend of breaks n electro. the sleeves were full of arabic text which was done graffiti style. they looked wicked and sounded incredible. think the sleeves were black & white but could be wrong on that one. does this ring any bells for anyone?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
there's a contradiction in techno between futurism expressed through dance and the actual monotony of machinic life under capitalism. that will have to wait till later this week as I've got a killer ear infection and a cold which is getting me down. in the meantime...

What makes techno good is its funk, not because of a fetishised idea of blackness, simply because a purely rigid grid groove like that in later trance takes away any utopian or cathartic potential industrial sounds have.

IdleRich

IdleRich
years ago at an afterparty there was a dude who had this crazy record collection full of rare obscure acid, breaks and trance that somehow wasn't bad. there were a couple of 12s he had that blew me away but i was too busy caught up in the moment to note down what they were. the only thing i remember was it sounded like some kind of late 80s/early 90s blend of breaks n electro. the sleeves were full of arabic text which was done graffiti style. they looked wicked and sounded incredible. think the sleeves were black & white but could be wrong on that one. does this ring any bells for anyone?
This sounds like the sort of thing you'll eventually track down ten years later and discover wasn't quite as killer as you thought. Or maybe that's just what happens to me.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
This sounds like the sort of thing you'll eventually track down ten years later and discover wasn't quite as killer as you thought. Or maybe that's just what happens to me.

proto goa continuum (think there was an arabic house list on discogs mostly dutch and belgian stuff made by white guys iirc.) basically on that weird belgian new beat thing before belgian techno started with music man records in the like. tbf I'm a bit of a purist in this regard I'm not so into the EBM descended stuff, i like the hard chicago acid and the belgian techno as well as the northern bleep. if i want middle eastern stuff I'll go to the source as the beats are far more complex than anything in western pop music.

also historical turkish trance is better than what came after 92 anyway. check binali selman recordings.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the cristian vogel and si begg stuff from this era is unreal, trading the hippy flora and fawna cack for punk-like radical shamanism. in search of the promordial deadly chponic groove. none of those twinkly cosmic melodies that are like the ozric tentacles discovering umm kulthum after 30 years. just unrelenting trance. no soil. go beyond the soil into lava. burn.

luka

One of bartys quirks is that despite his interest in drums he's got no interest in rhythms outside of Africa and the diaspora. So no islamic world and no india. He hates it. Says its not proper music.

sadmanbarty

One of bartys quirks is that despite his interest in drums he's got no interest in rhythms outside of Africa and the diaspora. So no islamic world and no india. He hates it. Says its not proper music.

that'd be more of a drum kit bias than anything. i've never particularly gone and listened intently to other types of drums, only the kit.

i don't know much about islamic drum stuff but i listen to indian bits and pieces every now and then. tabla's are gorgeous texturally, but the rhythms being played never jumped out at me as being particularly novel. more rockist than dancehall, drill or jungle.

IdleRich

IdleRich
There's not much explaining going on is there, just loads of tunes from random times and places. If anything it adds to the confusion or lack of knowledge. We know what electro sounds like but surely the question is why? How did it develop? Where and when and why there and then etc? What's good about it? That's what I want from an explanation.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
that'd be more of a drum kit bias than anything. i've never particularly gone and listened intently to other types of drums, only the kit.

i don't know much about islamic drum stuff but i listen to indian bits and pieces every now and then. tabla's are gorgeous texturally, but the rhythms being played never jumped out at me as being particularly novel. more rockist than dancehall, drill or jungle.

how can you say that if you've listened to Zakir hussein. Rock rhythm is very simple and uncultivated, it's basically a 4-4 with a downbeat on the 2-4. Zakir goes into 2s divided into a 16 section.