Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Up to a point, then plants stop growing, which, on balance, may not be a good thing.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions, such as attempts to eliminate essential trace gases.

I assumed it meant decarbonisation of economies, not the whole atmosphere, which would be ludicrous as well as obviously impossible.

john eden

male pale and stale
Rewilding the City of London would be awesome. Better than a thermonuclear holocaust in my book.

We could repopulate it with those monkeys Martin likes, to keep him happy.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There are geo-engineering schemes that want to actively pull CO2 out of the atmosphere, regardless of where it has come from

Well getting worked up about science-fiction scenarios that could result in too little CO2 in the atmosphere seems a little perverse right now.

martin

----
Rewilding the City of London would be awesome.

A phalanx of fruitbats forms a pulsating, ebony cloud over the Spitalfields skyline.

Macaque raiders from Epping Forest target fast food joints across East London. Angry kebab shop owners form vigilante death squads, bushwhacking any unaccompanied primate they meet. An innocent spider monkey trying to get back to Hackney Downs is unfairly set upon and hanged from a lamp post.

Terrified city workers barricade themselves inside Balls Brothers, as an enraged lioness hurls herself against the windows. Meanwhile, traffic piles up on the approach to Heathrow – flights missed and summer holidays ruined – due to a dazzle of zebras taking a middle-of-the-road siesta.

Former mobile phone muggers reminisce about the ‘good old days’ before apes learned to use smartphones and muscled in on the action.

Hospitalised, tearful student, missing four toes, reminds Londoners that the Trafalgar Square fountains contain piranhas.

Yeah, sounds alright, I guess.

Cool. There is a growing body of literature on catastrophic urban re-wilding. e.g.

the zoos opened, predators unleashed by the dozens, hundreds….four thousand hungry wolves rampaging on streets of these hive cities, elephants and bison stampeding, the buildings smashed to pieces, the cries of the human bug shearing through the streets as the lord of beasts returns. Manhattan, Moscow, Peking reduced to ruins overgrown by vines and forest, the haunt of the lynx and coyote again. The great cesspool slums, Calcutta, Nairobi, all the fetid latrines of the world covered over by mudslides, overgrown with thick jungle, this is justice. Lisbon to me always seemed city still inhabited just out of vanity. Let loose hundreds of tigers, companies of rhinoceros, with strong engine of spirit revving in their deep chests, let them bring the justice of the volcano to this world of trash! Bless the passing of the Shoggoth!"

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
That's really good, thanks Sufi. Strikes a nice tone of pointing out red lines but being conciliatory at the same time (tough balance to strike):love:

catalog

Why does the left always splinter like this? They always start arguing about minor things so it never coheres. Is it cos on the right it's more simple, it's just about money? Whereas on the left it becomes about less measurable things, like class? Is that it?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
While your general point stands, the issues being argued about are certainly not minor points. That's...the point. It's about thoughtlessness mainly, in this case.

The right never really coheres in actuality either (eg the Euro split in the Tory party has been around since the 70s), but it often comes together at times of stress despite its massive differences. Because nothing really matters but money, like you say.

catalog

Yeah it's a shame, it ends up becoming the main thing people focus on, then no one can be bothered anymore cos they've all slagged each other off too much and we go back to the same thing it was before but maybe some rich people have got richer. Nice one.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
That's quite bleak. The left needs to learn to bear disagreements and still carry on (in this it could learn from Dissensus). Pretending people aren't saying things you disagree with, seems a pretty weak alternative. Else you just end up with groups that are carbon copies of the right, with the people who shout loudest and don't listen to anyone else in charge.

Last edited:

catalog

Yeah I think I agree with that, but I'm not sure it's possible without a strong authoritarian leadership. Like even Gandhi was quite headstrong and committed to his vision. When Ambedkar begged him to recognise lower caste Hindus who had mass converted to Buddhism in order to get out of their terrible situation, he wouldn't have it.

catalog

Certainly, being able to feel empathy for those who agree on final destination, but disagree on precise order or route, it's a big step, much easier said than done