luka

These are your new leaders. I mean, I've met him obviously, but who are they? They don't quite seem real.

sufi

lala
This is a 5* thread

xr strategy- it's good to hear that the objectives are broader than just climate change acknowledgement - i had thought that maybe general environmental degradation might bring in a wider constituency, but actual alteration of reality from quantum level up is a goal that i am aligned with 100%

sufi

lala
These are your new leaders. I mean, I've met him obviously, but who are they? They don't quite seem real.
xr middle class-ness - they have sussed the regional vs. london equation well - they bus in gentle rural folk * as shock troops for the arrest/martyrdom operations. as well obvs for that druidy/crusty contingent

so it's currently the back to the bush re-grouping phase.

Last edited:

sufi

lala
wierd to contrast with Greenpeace's kind of professional, big budget corporate DA in St James
easy to imagine the campaigns team sitting around planning that one on slack or skype - cost/benefit of keeping the brand on this wave of eco-consciousness

ome

“”
i'd quite like to hear Gail on strategy of activism and Roger on psychedelic/esoteric spirituality
indeed..

last i heard, state is threatening to charge all 1130 people that got arrested.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...9x2GDXa31S9_Vkvm__FIx2_3BHIR_2R6P4XX1gH7rk69U

did you get nicked ome?
my US work permit application is safe for now.. the next big action in autumn.
“A great philosopher once wrote
Naughty, naughty, very naughty
Ha ha ha ha ha ”

Last edited:

ome

yep.. nothing new for me in there... any one who can’t accept in their crit that the tactics of xr in april were the greatest win ever for green politics... is just blinded by thier own ideology..

things are moving fast now... as i see it the political eco leftists are mostly moving on to the ‘mitigation vs adaptation’ argument.. (as framed in previous link). it’s a bigger picture.. xr might be redundant by xmas. that’s cool, it played it’s part, so far and imo, very well. i’m proud to have done my bit.

you want a hard read try this:
http://sirius.institute/Autumn_Rebellion.pdf

my personal pov is neither of these: although, i do lean to the humanist/carl rodgers integral/truth side of things in the sirius essay..

thousands of us are in working groups several evenings a week ingesting all this crit.. re-imagining systems.

if your agreeable to non-violence and transparency.... we need to feed.. give your brains to the hive! october will probably be xr’s last hurrah... come help design the october rebellion.. i have seen an individual come in with an idea and 6weeks later it’s an action of a hundred people! this is real, and making imo, on the whole, a beneficial impact to future.

pax.

ome

Sorry but i’m not going to read someone’s “Random Thoughts”

Sorry but i’m not going to read someone’s “Random Thoughts”

i don’t blame you, ‘lord hugh r.adumass’ / serrius doc is well dada.. imo it’s worth wadeing through..

my previous linked rupert ‘read’ doc is more widely read - so read that one first.

I re-read your lib-com blog link, as my response was unduly flippant.
There are two accusations as i understand it.
1) XR is an Autocracy
2) XR does not respect that ACAB.

1) Apart from not citing any evidence, he’s right. Initially this was basically a dozen peeps who designed the april rebellion.Since then there has been significant restructured, with hundred of groups worldwide designing thier own actions, but keeping to the xr values. Admittedly this criticism was only published recently, but it was actually written just after the april rebellion.

2) Totally missing the point, so clearly does not get it, while also quoting evidence out of context. XR always has framed arrest as something the privileged can only safely do. XR owned the plod in april, had them chasing thier tails, and basically told them what to do. The tactic used totally took state by surprise, i saw many police crying. They were a mess for them....... However this summer they turned the tables, using the XR tactics to thier advantage, and made a mockery of xr.

imo. i would also add that the ACAB argument plays into a narrative of power that is limited by definitions of force, bribery and coercion. Leaving victims unable to exploit other forms of power. Like those used in April. Additionally the othering of any group, goes against the aim of non-violence (in the MLKing way), and the conserve-ative message that we are one group to protect. XR holds both political sides of the argument as one. remember xr are the pacifist fluffies.

droid

Thought it was interesting myself.

Splitting seems inevitable. Some people are going to be more willing/prepared to take violent direct action than others, its better that there are seen as separate entities, and it's becoming increasingly clear that's what's going to have to happen. The state is completely unprepared for disruptive attacks on infrastructure from within, and in many cases the targets are simply not physically defensible anyway.

version

NHS reports protester to Prevent for joining Extinction Rebellion - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...rts-protester-to-prevent-extinction-rebellion

A retired doctor who took part in non-violent environmental protests was visited by police at his home after his local NHS trust reported him to the government’s counter-terrorism programme.

Lyn Jenkins, 69, joined the Extinction Rebellion environmental campaign after he became convinced that urgent action was needed to avert climate breakdown.

His local NHS trust referred him to Prevent, the government’s flagship programme designed to stop people from becoming terrorists.

Jenkins had sought help from the trust as he wanted to overcome his claustrophobia and believed he might experience panic attacks in a police cell if he was arrested. He had explicitly told the trust that he wanted to be arrested during Extinction Rebellion protests.

Jenkins criticised Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust for referring him to the anti-terrorism programme when he was merely involved in a non-violent group that sought to raise awareness about the threat of climate chaos and could not in any way be considered a terrorist.

He said: “Extinction Rebellion is, above all, a non-violent movement. Labelling peaceful protesters as terrorists leaves them, and the world as a whole, in a more perilous position.”

A government source said Prevent decided a day after receiving the referral that no further action was needed. A police source suggested two officers had visited Jenkins at home to check on his wellbeing.