Frank Zappa's Legacy, 25 Years on

MondoJazz

Frank Zappa may have said "jazz is not dead, it just smells funny" but looking at his life and music one does not get the impression that he really believed that jazz was decomposing or dying a slow death.

I hope you like this radio special about his relationship with jazz and how the jazz world has embraced his genius: https://www.mixcloud.com/MondoJazz/frank-zappas-jazz-allures-mondo-jazz-ep-53/

Click here to see it on Mixcloud

I'd love any feedback (the good the bad the ugly)... while I'm working on a "Part 2" ;-)

Best
Lu2018_12_05_Ep53_Zappa.jpg

luka

according to jim this is a zappa reference in prynnes new one snooty tip offs
1646659849118.png

Benny Bunter

"Prynne also, perhaps surprisingly, tried to keep up with pop culture. He asked some students to lend him a stash of the rock albums he ought to be listening to. He diligently listened, and the word was that he enjoyed Frank Zappa, but didn’t really “get” Captain Beefheart."

luka

theres a beefheart reference in one of the new ones. cant remember what it is. i hate beefheart but i hate people who like him much more.

Benny Bunter

Actually, my dad had a copy of hot rats which isn't too bad in places, and I allowed myself to like this song just because it has beefhart on it.

luka

tom waits is bad too but he wouldnt exist at all without zappa and beefheart which is why they are worse

Benny Bunter

I like captain beefharts least weird stuff best - the first album safe as milk is maybe the best psych/garage rock album ever, and he is actually capable of genuine human emotions, unlike *spits* zappa

Benny Bunter

Was just typing that I love Clear spot and some of the spotlight kid is also great. Must admit I don't have the patience for troutmaskreplica or his later stuff.

forclosure

Was just typing that I love Clear spot and some of the spotlight kid is also great. Must admit I don't have the patience for troutmaskreplica or his later stuff.
Replica i understand but Bat Chain Puller onwards is close to being as streamlined as those two

Benny Bunter

I liked this

And I love this

There's another really soppy one that I like off one of the later albums but I can't remember the name now.

Safe as milk and clear spot are the ones though.