Surprising Good Records

IdleRich

IdleRich
Heard this by Van Halen the other day, didn't know they did stuff like this

Always a nice surprise when you find a killer tune by a band you think is rubbish

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Theme For Great Cities is an all-time classic. among other things, one of the best tunes - in a very crowded field - exemplifying early 80s "left-field" dance tracks

another cool early Simple Minds track. I'm under the impression that their early LPs are in general pretty good? Drowned out by their later arena rock years

I hate the Steve Miller Band almost as much as the Eagles but this is another genuine left-field classic as played by people like Levan, Mancuso, Harvey etc

checks pretty much all my boxes - dubbed out, psychedelic guitars, endless propulsive groove. bonus: ends with 2+ minutes of rainstorm, 25 years before Burial got around to it.

padraig (u.s.)

a surprising number of late 70s novelty disco records are quite legit. another Garage track. gets deep af (in the disco til dawn sense) in the second half.

padraig (u.s.)

same deal as above, big Garage track. bit later on, definite proto-house vibe. produced by Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards.

IdleRich

IdleRich
You're right about early Simple Minds, I've got a couple of early albums and they each have their moments. League of Nations is another cool one. Kinda like a sketch, pretty basic but punky-funky if I'm remembering it right.
Macho City is a good call, it's been compiled a few times so you don't need to buy the album which is otherwise pretty poor...
Gonna check the other suggestions when I get in later, cheers.

Leo

interesting thread: not one-hit wonders but cases where artists have a cool track that comes out of left field, atypical for them. hmm...

can't say I dislike everything by kiss (the version of "deuce" on "alive" deserves its own room in the RnR hall of fame) but don't care for 99% of their stuff...except for this. a trashy 1979 cash-in on the disco trend, obvious pastiche but with big hooks and well done, not miles away from vintage hi-NRG/Italo. co-written by desmond child.

Last edited:

Leo

or, after their first two albums of death disco, ending "metal box/second edition" with this...

IdleRich

IdleRich
I love I Was Made For Loving You - I have the twelve inch of the Kiss version and also the Queen of Japan version which obviously recognises everything you said above. Maybe it's a bit too "cool" and loses the fun though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
interesting thread: not one-hit wonders but cases where artists have a cool track that comes out of left field, atypical for them. hmm...
Yeah that's what I'm thinking, b-sides and album tracks that are atypical.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I mean I guess Paul McCartney may have been involved in a few pretty good records over the years but that one (along with Temporary Secretary of course) reversed a downward trend. In fact the whole album is pretty cool. One of the tracks has a line "Don't go chasing waterfalls" which was recycled later of course.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Was Dog a Donut is a famous one I suppose. Supertramp though.... that's exactly what I'm after... if it's good obviously.

blissblogger

I'm under the impression that their early LPs are in general pretty good? ]

they were great!

it's more a case really of how surprisingly shit the later stuff is - like, how could they plummet so low?

Empires and Dance is the lost art-rock classic, very unusual like-nobody-else sound, great lyrics and vocals - a cinematic Euro travelogue, overloaded by sensation and stimuli vibe

(but the album before it is also really good - Real to Real Cacophony)

then after Empires, they get a bit more stadium widescreen with Sister Feelings Call and Sons and Fascination, but still loads of terrific tunes - "love song", "sweat in bullet", "the american"

slight shift towards pop with New Gold Dream, a great album - singles "Promised You A Miracle" and "Glittering Prize" just fabulous

back towards stadium-land with Sparkle In the Rain but still good epic tunes like 'Up on the Catwalk' and 'Waterfront"

but even after the Breakfast Club hit (written by Keith Forsey not the band) they still had moments - 'All the things she said' etc

after that it just gets horribly bloated and literal with an unwieldy element of social concern added

firefinga

Was Dog a Donut is a famous one I suppose.

I didn't know of this track until a couple of years ago when I stumbled across it on some mix I heard. I then checked the playlist and was really surprised to see this was from Cat Stevens!