Online (post-geographic) Localism.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
put it this way im not let into most clubs, regardless of genre. so I never held that one dancefloor belief. What I'm more into is the idea of hearing tunes out and going yeah that's bad, that is like vibing with how i feel in london, which is maybe around 2010 i made a bit of a culturally ill judged foray into industrial techno. But deep tech was not really bad. some of it is alright was listening to strange static again but it's not bad. It's quite static (ha)

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I mean I guess the question we need to ask is how do we realise a truly collective internet? How many times have you gotten into ill judged online wars because both of you have misjudged each other? I really feel the gravity of this on twitter and fb.

sufi

lala
Three Decades of Cross-Cultural Utopianism in British Music Writing The history of

Three Decades of Cross-Cultural Utopianism in British Music Writing

The history of England’s fertile music press reveals as much about the opinionated English youth who created it as it does the music they covered in the second half of the 20th century

Mark Sinker

Has anyone got through this yet?
https://longreads.com/2019/02/19/th...cultural-utopianism-in-british-music-writing/
it seems fascinating but tbh i keep nodding off or getting distracted (& this is just an excerpt)

sufi

lala
sorry for my attention span.

If i gathered right, and the central thesis is that pop has been a sort of sanctuary for impure thoughts rejected by wider culture, then i like it,

(and it's maybe relevant here ❌ ?)

- up close, it's a bit like a music journalism family tree
i probably should ffwd to the era when i remember those magazines

mvuent

Void Dweller
part of what's interesting about this to me is how much the visuals overshadow the music. i like parts of astroworld but the songs feel dull and unremarkable in this context. the sounds don't even interact with the visuals in an interesting way. they're more like background noise.

relates to "why people get rothko but not stockhausen" everyone's up for crazy, sensory overload visuals but when it comes to music they only want simplicity and catchy hooks.

but also, i can't help but think that if i were a little kid seeing this i'd start wanting to be an animator and wouldn't give a second's thought to music.