padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
incidentally I've been to Graceland and it's as close as you can get in the United States to a Santiago de Compostela etc type shrine

minus the invisible weight of history, of course, but with the unmistakable aura of relentless ambition ("a dream with a V-8 engine" to quote the man)

padraig (u.s.)

and on "Coltrane to Rick James to Mavado"

all of those are much, much closer to spiritual ecstasy than they are to organized religion

undoubtedly they were all influenced by their experiences in organized religion (at least the first 2; I'll take your word on Movado, as I know basically nothing about dancehall)

but their art is undoubtedly on the estatic side

Coltrane the mystical, transcendent, awe-inspiring. Rick James the suffusion of joy, estatic movement, etc

do you need The Church for that? not really

luka

Just to clarify Padraig, you are disputing that the bible has a central role in western culture? That's a bold claim. It's not one I've heard made before. Interesting albeit demonstrably batty.

padraig (u.s.)

I'd also kick against the notion that the religious impulse and the religious experience is synonymous with striving for transcendence
perhaps not synonymous, that's true

but it's a core element, and never not present. it's the sine qua non of the religious impulse.

"transcendence" is a word with much baggage, but to answer the unanswerable, explain the unexplainable, etc. why else did people invent gods?

padraig (u.s.)

Just to clarify Padraig, you are disputing that the bible has a central role in western culture?
don't put words in my mouth

my only claim is that what is "religious" in art is closer to spiritual ecstasy than it is to religious infrastructure

yall that ones arguing that Rick James has more to do with scripture etc than with trying to lose oneself in something greater

make your case

luka

What makes you think people 'invented' gods?

But leaving that aside again I refuse to accept striving for transcedence as indispensable for religion. I think it's a variety of religious experience and practice and nothing more.

padraig (u.s.)

from a religious perspective, EVERYTHING is religious, whether or not its aware of it
some of what I/others trying to get at with belief vs. devotion

there's a Camus line about humans being "prisoners to our truths". when you know, or believe, a thing, there is no mystery to it.

whereas devotion can be in service of a belief, but need not be. it can be about the search, the attempt, or the feeling.

there is an area of overlap where you know a thing but not all its qualities, which is where religion mysticism exists

padraig (u.s.)

What makes you think people 'invented' gods?
well that's the crux of the matter ain't it

do you literally believe in Jesus, Allah, Odin, Shiva, whatever deity or deities?

any deity you don't believe in, you acknowledge to be the product of human ingenuity

luka

well that's the crux of the matter ain't it

do you literally believe in Jesus, Allah, Odin, Shiva, whatever deity or deities?

any deity you don't believe in, you acknowledge to be the product of human ingenuity

I disagree. Reductionist in a way which offends my sensibilities.

padraig (u.s.)

there can be religious practice without transcendence, but not worship

religion without striving for something is just going thru motions

I'm not saying there's no value to ritual etc of itself

but anyone who truly believes by definition believes in something greater than themselves

the claim that art is more like religious practice (an empty vessel) than religious impulse (what fills the vessel, what it was designed to carry) strikes me as odd

but if that's the claim you and barty are making, fair enough. I just disagree.

padraig (u.s.)

come on, enough with the passive aggression, say what you mean

I gotta go to work but I promise to come back later and offer up an honest response

luka

there can be religious practice without transcendence, but not worship

religion without striving for something is just going thru motions

I'm not saying there's no value to ritual etc of itself

but anyone who truly believes by definition believes in something greater than themselves

the claim that art is more like religious practice (an empty vessel) than religious impulse (what fills the vessel, what it was designed to carry) strikes me as odd

but if that's the claim you and barty are making, fair enough. I just disagree.

This is straightforwardly false. It's a blinkered, one dimensional view of what religion entails. It's the rock and roll take on religion.

Also me and Barry are making different arguments from different directions.

padraig (u.s.)

This is straightforwardly false. It's a blinkered, one dimensional view of what religion entails
obviously I disagree with you

doesn't seem like you're really trying to have a discussion, so whatever

could do without the insults and (massively unearned, as always) condescension, but also whatever. I know you can't really control it.

and I'm aware you're making different arguments, but you're here defending his, so

if you wanna make a response of value, gfi. if not, no skin off mine.

padraig (u.s.)

for a man who talks constantly about the psychedelic, you remain as always startlingly parochial

thanks for reminding me why I took a long break from this place

sadmanbarty

Just to clarify Padraig, you are disputing that the bible has a central role in western culture? That's a bold claim. It's not one I've heard made before. Interesting albeit demonstrably batty.

this seems to be the post where there was a miscommunication of intent.

i think luka was going for facetious rather than cunty, but i can see from padraig's perspective why it might not have come across that way.

hopefully that clears things up and we can all move on.

))))):love:((((((