Youtube Ban For Dissensus.

luka

There are few things which get me down as much as seeing a discussion derailed and deflated with a dirty protest of YouTube links smeared all over the wall, particularly now our collective taste is more diffuse and contradictory than ever. Perhaps we could agree not to do this? (Outside of those threads in which it's clearly appropriate/solicited) Or am I the only one who feels this way?

Leo

although one could view use of youtube links as part of modern dialogue, a cog of contemporary "conversational speed", as Barty put it in the online (post-geo) localism thread.

sadmanbarty

although one could view use of youtube links as part of modern dialogue, a cog of contemporary "conversational speed", as Barty put it in the online (post-geo) localism thread.

The argument would be that it's not conversational.

Leo

any action that makes a point contributes to a conversation, doesn't need to be spoken/written words.

luka

Yes, I agree. I was suggesting that a string of YouTube videos doesn't make a point. One video to illustrate a specifc quality might but once you have, let's say, 4 in a row, that's likely 12 minutes listening time at the very least. I can't see that as conversational or even as a realistic demand to make on someone's time. What can it possibly contribute?

Visually you lose the sense of focus and thrust also and for me I think that is important. Its a visual indicator of straying attention.

But these are my personal feelings. I wanted to know what everybody else felt.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
no, imo what people should do is use the URL tags and enclose the link in artist name - track title.

That was the huge mistake with the 80s hip hop thread. all dead. no posterity. confined to oblivion by capitalism. class traitors.

blissblogger

enjoyed the dirty protest smeared on the wall metaphor

not that being on a message board is exactly like being in an H-Block

but does convey the sheer shit of the internet, up to your waist your neck in the muck of data and information and imagery

digiculture makes us anal-expulsive rather anal-retentive

luka

Anal expulsive is a concept which doesn't get used nearly often enough. I use it a lot, but usually just in a specific context, a line of american let it all hang out poets.