Thread: iconisation.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default iconisation.

"For a long time the magical implications of transfer in any shape must have given a muted and perhaps not initially debased sacrality to objects of currency-status, just as fish hooks and bullets become strongly magical objects in the societies formed around their use. But gradually the item-form becomes iconised, in transitions like that from aes rude (irregular bits of bronze), through aes signatum (cast ingots or bars) to aes grave (the circular stamped coin.)

JH Prynne. A Note On Metal.
    Last edited by luka; 02-03-2019 at 10:21 PM.

Development of the sign for King (man + crown) between 2500 and 600 BC

Now compare on the corner with a night square, JH Prynne, from 1971

image.jpg
    Last edited by luka; 02-03-2019 at 10:48 PM.

That so you can see how it is organised spatially as dissensus destroys any attempt to arrange text artfully

"The possibility of all similes, of all the imagery of our language, rests on the logic of representation.
    In order to understand the essence of this proposition, consider hieroglyphic writing, which pictures the facts it describes. And from it came the alphabet without the essence of the representation being lost.This we see from the fact that we understand the propositional sign, without having had it explained to us.
    The proposition is a picture of reality, for I know the state of affairs presented by it, if I understand proposition. And I understand the proposition without its sense having been explained to me.
    The proposition shows its sense." Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus.