luka

"For a long time the magical implications of transfer in any shape must have given a muted and perhaps not initially debased sacrality to objects of currency-status, just as fish hooks and bullets become strongly magical objects in the societies formed around their use. But gradually the item-form becomes iconised, in transitions like that from aes rude (irregular bits of bronze), through aes signatum (cast ingots or bars) to aes grave (the circular stamped coin.)

JH Prynne. A Note On Metal.

Last edited:

luka

Now compare on the corner with a night square, JH Prynne, from 1971

image.jpg

Last edited:

luka

That so you can see how it is organised spatially as dissensus destroys any attempt to arrange text artfully

luka

"The possibility of all similes, of all the imagery of our language, rests on the logic of representation.
In order to understand the essence of this proposition, consider hieroglyphic writing, which pictures the facts it describes. And from it came the alphabet without the essence of the representation being lost.This we see from the fact that we understand the propositional sign, without having had it explained to us.
The proposition is a picture of reality, for I know the state of affairs presented by it, if I understand proposition. And I understand the proposition without its sense having been explained to me.
The proposition shows its sense." Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus.

luka

how much can you reduce something down and still retain the full weight of what it signifies.

luka

At a certain level of abstraction you leave the human behind and enter the realm of engineering.

House the perfect fit forever

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

CrowleyHead said:
Certain parts of the world aspire certain semiotics to certain musical threads, so for example Minor Key being 'the sad notes' in The West or nonsense like that. But these imbibed lessons don't exist in other parts of the world

With the net, there's a lot of interchangeability but there's also still the issue of Western-Centric/Dominant culture infecting everyone else and overriding instead of the unique signifiers from pre-net in these other places, How do those diff. relationships continue to exist and thrive without getting run over

To relate it to the "Morphology" argument, it's watching other environments grow/spread and get cultivated other native ones

DM'd this to Luka who requested I slap this on, b/c he mentioned applying this to musical language.

luka

I like this one very much. I might have to wait for Barty to get here to help out though.

luka

Computer games and conditioned responses. How initial stage of hyper sensitivity is reduced into conditioned stimuli-response sequence. A learned procedure. Drops of saliva measured.

sadmanbarty

how much can you reduce something down and still retain the full weight of what it signifies.

At a certain level of abstraction you leave the human behind and enter the realm of engineering.

these are speaking to two different, even contradictory, phenomenon.

the first is about finding the most economic means to articulate a Totality.

the latter is about the Totality being constructed upon singular, hyper-atomised components. these components have no intrinsic purpose in relation to the Totality nor any intrinsic relationship to one another. the Totality is defined simply by the sequence of these components to one another.

luka

There I was thinking about sound denoting an operation, a movement, and how a point is reached at which that movement, that operation, is rationalised into engineering, away from the exigencies of an individual human body, abstracted into an energy equation.

luka

The smurf is funk become engineering. The noise of art record I played on the radio that time is engineering. I can't find the YouTube. "And it's gunna be alright"

luka

To hit a drum becomes a mechanised procedure of downward pressure, rationalised, a piston, without the complex rotational, hinged architecture of shoulder, elbow wrist, bicep, tricep, hand etc

luka

Bodies are abstracted into machines but then the machines themselves are abstracted out of existence. The stage we are at now.

luka

What was I talking about? No one knows. Delirium. Fever dreams. Cryptic runes.