droid

Why would I answer a question based on a false premise?

Regardless of the reasons, these are the exact questions the alt-right are asking.

droid

This isnt a difficult question. We have historical parallels.

The main pressure is economic. Inequality, globalisation, unemployment, austerity, leading to dissolution and the feeling amongst (mostly) young men that the system is rigged.

Combine this with the liberal projects of capitalism. Feminism, gay rights, diversity, equality etc and you give the opportunity for fascists to claim that the problems caused by A are actually caused by B.

The internet, amoral technological dissemination platforms and the breakdown of the effectiveness of capitalist media propaganda systems then provides the opportunity to amplify this narrative.

Nina

I remember reading that at the time and thinking it was the most risible act of 'resistance' I'd ever heard of. Like, you go girl! That'll show 'em!

For the record, it wasn't my laptop, but belonged to Sonic Acts. I guess they covered up the logo for copyright reasons for the videos. I don't imagine that putting a sticker over logo is an act of anything, as it goes...:)

john eden

male pale and stale
I work with someone who helped contain the Ebola outbreak in Africa a couple of years back.

I have been wondering how he would feel if some deep ecologist guy rocked up and said that Ebola had as much right to existence as human beings do. And what we needed was to understand it better.

Maybe if we communicated with it, it wouldn't be so bad and we could talk it round?

Perhaps the reason the virus is killing so many people is because it has been so badly treated by the medical establishment and the army?

Inevitably this deep ecologist guy would not be someone who would stand any chance of being directly affected by the virus. He would no doubt bemoan the "escalation" involved in trying to contain it and say that we were doomed when it looked like progress was being made.

The aim of anti-fascism is de-escalation. That is why there are peaks and troughs of anti-fascist activity since fascism began.

Fascism is only inevitable if we stop fighting it.

Nina

Hi all - interesting to read through this thread. I agree with vimothy's diagnosis. What strikes me as extraordinary in terms of how the contemporary 'left' operate is its relentlessly authoritarian nature, its unwilingness to discuss topics of concern to everyone, its division of people into groups who can speak and groups who can, its relentless logic of identity and anti-solidarity (not to mention calling for people to lose their jobs, be punched in the street etc.). Since being denounced by people too cowardly to speak to me in person, losing work etc., after raising questions on the sex/gender issue, I have come to realise just how much the left relies on mantras, bullying, guilt and moralism to keep people in line. It makes no sense to me to say we can't talk to those we disagree with, that they must be socially excluded - we will never understand anything by shunning people, let alone be able to reason our way through various political issues. The contemporary 'left' is not one I recognise.